Year Created: 2003
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: small
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just a little something funny to share.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I keep thinking about "finding a style", etc. I always think about it. I must have been over thinking it yesterday because I had a funny dream sort of.

I was dreaming that I was at this huge event, lots of people were there and parking for the event went on forever. I found a parking spot, and noted where I was at so I could find our van when I came out.

Once inside, I let someone borrow my van for awhile to go do a few things. When the event was over, I left.

I was driving through the parking lot IN MY VAN, and looking up and down the isles of vehicles and all I was thinking about was "WHERE DID I PARK MY VAN, I AM NEVER GOING TO FIND IT".

Meanwhile I am in the darn thing driving it but I dont see or realize that is what I am doing so I continued look all night long for the van.

Maybe my subsconscious is telling me I do have a style but I need to work on it more and bring it out that I dont have to keep looking because its already there. LOL, I just thought I would share that.

PS> the picture has nothing to do with the dream. I just thought you need to post a picture in order for the submit to work. Maybe I didn't need one. Oh well gives you something to look at.

Shawn

jerryW
04-17-2003, 12:17 PM
like finding my self - in the sixties,
so many would say I am going to find my self.

parents skoffed, and some peers pretended to know themselves.

what can I say? well on any journey, the middle path is safest.

artbabe21
04-17-2003, 12:23 PM
like with dorothy & oz...sometimes it's there the whole time, you just aren't in tune with it yet...or you need to search to find out it was always there...ok, i am rambling here...don't stress over it too much, it will show up when you least expect it...just keep painting...;)

Lorijo
04-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Your dream means you are searching still. (I think, hehehe) Made me think of my dream that I have had fairly often. I am at a showing of my paintings, they are all beautiful and selling, people love them. Then when I wake up I can't remember what the paintings looked like! Went along with my "I don't know what to paint" phase.

I think style is like handwriting, you paint or draw often enough and it just starts showing up. You lay all your stuff out and you say to yourself, yup, its all me. If you jump around in different mediums your style can look different or change. Lorijo

Helen Zapata
04-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Shawn, to me style is not something to seek. In fact, if we seek it too soon, and focus on finding our "style", then I think we are shortchanging ourselves.

I think it begins with each of us.. each artistic soul... having their own individual and unique "vision". When I look at something and see the painting in it.. when I get that excitement.. it's my own personal vision at play.

In the meantime, I paint and draw and paint some more. Learning the craft, learning techniques, experimenting with mediums, experiencing some failures and some successes along the way. But each time, without fail, I "learn".

Then eventually, my ability as an artist begins to catch up with my vision as an artist. And THAT is where I believe we discover that we have stumbled upon our own "style". :)

Helen

jerryW
04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
maybe style is a journey
you walk the path that is you
always seeking -
it keeps unfolding

designditz
04-17-2003, 10:09 PM
when people tell me "wow i like your style" or "you have an interesting style"...i am lost... wasnt aware i had one... therefore i just keep doing things that are fun to me... inspire me... as you do... as we all do... you are good at so many different things and mediums that in itself should be exciting! style is something that someone else labels... not yourself...we like to name things...sometimes names arent important :)...just my thoughts!

artbabe21
04-18-2003, 01:10 AM
your style is simply your handwriting...we all do it differently and it's something that is natural to you, you can't force style, we are who we are...:) sometimes it just shows up when we relax...:rolleyes: