PDA

View Full Version : first attempt

fisharound
04-17-2003, 04:44 AM
I am just learning and have been playing with acrylics now for about a year of so.

I have heard so much talk of watercolor and thought I should dabble in it....... :D

Would you please tell me what you thought.

All comments and suggestions are more than welcome here as I have laid out the biggest welcome mat I could find

Lines
04-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Dabble away. You may come to love it. Don't try
to force light colours over dark and learn to accept
that mistakes sometimes cannot be corrected, and
to stop over-painting before the colours become 'muddy'
and non-transparent. Painting materials like paper
and paints should in the long run be cheaper, and
your results almost instantaneous in comparison.
Some of the works shown here can be inspirational.

painterbear
04-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Hello Mary,

Welcome to the Watercolor Forum. I hope you enjoy your venture into watercolors enough to keep painting with them. They do take some getting used to, especially when it comes to letting them "do their own thing" and merge and blend on the paper.

In your painting I really like the sky and distant mountains a lot. The foreground mountains need some variation to give them dimensionality (see how you did the dips and valleys in the back band of mountains).

BTW, if you use the Uploader button at the top of the page to attach your image in your thread, we can see your painting as we post our reply. This gives us the opportunity to take a second look and make a more thorough analysis or critique.

M.A.
04-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi Mary,
Welcome aboard!!! Lovely piece you've submitted here ... I look forward to seeing more...

Bill J
04-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Real good start. I've found the more transparents I do the lighter I get. Save these early pics and If you are like me you will see a difference in your work as you TRY to master transparents.
bill

Sylvielu
04-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Hi I think you are coming along fine. In addition to agreeing about the foreground mountians also I feel the painting will be even better if you crop the bottom just beneath the bottom of the unfinished rocks!

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi, Mary,
Glad you are coming in. I switched from acrylic to watercolor one year ago and am so happy that I did. Not only are the supplies easier to store, but I get more enjoyment from the medium; I hope you do, too.

Watercolor not quite as easy as it looks, for sure. I think you are doing great, keep going with it. I also want to tell you about wonderful article written by our friend Marvin about painting trees in watercolor. You will find it on the home page of WC! Marvin is our foilage gru and wrote and illustrated a wonderful article for us.

You will get much encouragement and commaderie from this forum. Glad you are here. I cannot comment much on a landscape corrections, but many others here can and will. I just encourage you to stick with it and reap the rewards.

suzpaints
04-18-2003, 02:01 PM
hi and welcome!

you are starting to get some really nice effects - as was mentioned, the distant mountains are looking really good!

I think in some cases you are applying your pigment too "thick".
try watering it down a bit and add layers for intensity.

enjoy! watercolor is great fun!!!

Susie.

fisharound
04-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Lines,
Painterbear,
Fun2cook,
Bill Johnson,
Sylvieu,
Fookie,
Suzpaints,
I really enjoyed looking at your works and reading your tips........
Thanks for all the insightful and helpful tips :D
All who have looked at this painting have agreed that the left top corner is the best part.
I was so frustrated at the rest of the painting for a few days.
The sight in my head just wouldn't come out of the brush..........
No matter what I did!!!!!!!

This is what the painting turned into after many hours of looking and talking to the painting..http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1143804

Yorky
04-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Your work is very promising, Mary.

When I saw your first post the top half reminded my of some Turner landscapes. You got the aerial perspective spot on. I think the foreground though is much weaker.

I think you have to work on your light direction and hence the shadows on your rocks etc. Its very important to convey form by means of tone and shadows.

Keep at it - why not pick out a composition that you like and COPY it? You will learn what makes the painting pop that way.

Doug

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Welcome Mary: Youhave a very good start with this watercolour painting.

I too painted with acrylics for a few years and have been painting in watercolour since late last summer. It took me a long time to stop trying to work the paint like acrylics and let the paint work for you in water colour.

First thing to remember, is that your paper is your white and you work from lights to darks.

Secondly, let your first layer of wash dry completely before adding a darker colour on top. A hairdryer works well for this.

Check out Rod's tutorials here ( the 2 sticky threads at the top of the watercolour page) for lots of exercises as well as step by step instructions for full paintings.

Marvins tutorial on trees is there as well , which is terrific, as well as many others.

Most importantly, is all the help you will receive from everyone here in the watercolour forum

Looking forward to seeing more.

Gail:)

babybrush
04-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the WC!! your painting shows alot of skill, you just need to get used to the ins and outs of watercolor

Bethany

CharM
04-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Welcome to WC Mary! You'll find lots of help, advice and lively banter here. I also transitioned from acrylics to watercolour last November. I find watercolour to be very challenging and rewarding... It is also frustrating and discouraging at the same time. Be patient. Practice. Post your paintings. Then... learn from them! All the while, have fun with it!!!

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Welcome. Nice start in WC. You have receved a lot of good advice.
JoAnn

JustjoGA
04-21-2003, 09:25 AM
May I add my welcome, Mary... When I first decided to get into painting, I asked an artist friend what medium I should try first.... He said with no hesitation, take watercolor classes... if you can do watercolor, the other media will be much easier... Well, watercolor is still my first love.... I found I loved it and was good at it... I like the top half of your image... I agree to cropping it just beneath the rocks and not worry about foreground on this one.... The mountains and sky look really great...