PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon-Scratch art with color

lorna12
04-17-2003, 02:31 AM
I thought I was finished this, but I think I see a problem. (It didn't show up until after I scanned it.)

Opinions, comments, crits, welcomed

(I won't say what the problem is, so I won't sway anyone's mind.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/11613-Loon_1a.jpg

Paul Hopkinson
04-17-2003, 03:26 AM
Lorna I am amazed with these Scratch Art drawings or would you say paintings? It's real talented stuff and I am in awe when I see them posted by either you or or WC members.

Well done
Paul:clap:

snuffy
04-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Lorna-
This is fab, as your work always is. I can see 3 things. Tell me if one of them is the one you were thinking of. The back seems too straight. there should be more of an arch to it. The head seems too big for the body, although a loon on water doesn't show much above the water line. Loons have red eyes.

Crias
04-17-2003, 08:57 AM
:clap: :clap: Another nice one. I do agree common loons have red eyes. Ironically enough my VERY VERY first scratchboard was of a common loon family and I did it in 9th grade. I still have the piece at my parent house :)

BTDogMom
04-17-2003, 10:43 AM
LORNA!! Another beauty, btw I saw the bear that u put in the middle of another thread and I think u should make a thread all his own, he's beautiful!!! :clap: :clap:

crazeejumper
04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
I don't know much about loons, so all I can say is that it looks wonderful! Look at that water!! :clap:

RachelG*
04-17-2003, 02:05 PM
This looks really good! did you color it, or is that just the tint and me being odd? the only thing i can see, besides the eyes, is that it looks almost like he's sinking. now, i don't know the first thing about loons, and maybe that's just how they float!!:p looks great to me!!!

myorca
04-17-2003, 02:54 PM
I especially like the reflected blue on the bird himself. Lorna, you are doing remarkable with this scratching!! I do notice the water line in the background going into nothing. Did I guess right? :confused:

Bob

echidna
04-17-2003, 03:14 PM
i think this is beautiful! of course now people have pointed out things that you never would have noticed:rolleyes: have fun playing with it, and dont get frustrated!
~Echidna

lorna12
04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Thankyou everyone for looking and commenting.

Let's take these in order:

Thankyou Paul, for your kind words. This is something I really enjoy.

Snuffy: Thankyou! From the photo I used, the back looks even straighter than this and the head might seem a little large but loons tend to stay very low in the water (bodywise) so that may be why the head seems larger by comparison, as you said. Might be the scan that the eye is not red enough, I used a gold/red combination, but perhaps I should touch it up to appear more red than gold.

Cathy, thankyou and along with Suffy, you got it right, it was the eye.

BT, Thankyou, and about the bear, I did do a thread on him back in October. You can see it here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68330

Crazee, thankyou for your lovely compliment. I wanted to add some mist to that water, but was chicken to try. I was afraid I'd wreck it.

RachelG, thankyou and yes I did add color, I used a little cobalt gold red and a touch of green, although you can't see much of it on the screen, it shows up a bit more in person. I used transparent colors. As I said before, sometimes loons barely have any 'body' above the waterline, so this one isn't sinking too bad.

Bob, thankyou, that's quite a compliment coming from the "King" of scratchboard! Do you (or anyone else) think I put too much blue on his head? I didn't want to place too much emphasis on the water in the background, but maybe I should add just a bit of highlights? Sorry, it was mostly the eye I was wondering about.

echidna, Thanks for your comment and no, I won't get frustrated!

I ask for comments hoping for honest opinions and I really do appreciate everyone's honest comments. Thanks again,everyone.

lorna12
04-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Snuffy, I'm sorry, I should have said that you got it right, too. I forgot that it was you who said it first.

I touched it up a with a bit more red, here's a closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/11613-looneye.jpg_1.jpg

myorca
04-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi Lorna,

I dont think you have too much blue. I think it plays very nicely. I dont know anything about loons so I wasnt looking for the eye color. The line where the water and board meet is what caught my eye. A remarkable job!

Thank YOU for the "king" of scratchboard comment. :)

Bob

Redsy333
04-17-2003, 11:37 PM
GADZOOKSSSS!! I need someone to wave a flag everytime you post your work! :clap: :clap: <-- me big fan!!
Awsome work:D:D:D

lorna12
04-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Redsy, Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!:)

Bob, I didn't know what you meant at first, but now I see it. That kinda straight line in the background is not present when viewing the real thing, only on the screen. It looks a little greenish above the line doesn't it? I haven't touched that part of the board with paint or anything, so it must just be the scan, maybe a bit of glare or something? I haven't put the finishing spray on it and when I look at the piece, where I have painted is flat/dull and where the board hasn't been touched, it still has it's original sort of soft sheen to it. The scan must have picked up the difference.

snuffy
04-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Lorna-
You are definitely headed in the right direction w/ the eye color. The only ones I have painted have been wood carvings. I used a bright red Testor's paint which I think is a form of lacquer. The best description of the color I can come up with is a bright ruby red. the reflections as well as the remainder is excellent as far as I can tell.
btw, most of the diving birds have red eyes. The scientists think it is to help them see underwater. Sort of like a red filter on a camera lens. In some, the male has red eyes and the female has yellow eyes. No scientific explanation for that, as far as I know.

Night Horse Studio
04-18-2003, 10:36 AM
WOW! You do amazing Scratch Art! You must really have patients!

This is excellent by the way!

Stephanie

lorna12
04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Thank you Stephanie! I guess I do have patience, I actually find this type of work relaxing! Now color pencil is a horse of a different color (hehe, pun intended) I working on a white horse on a black paper in colored pencil and I'm getting very frustrated with it. I guess I should have chosen something a little easier for my first horse in cp.

Snuffy, thanks for the info! I didn't know that about diving birds.

gillyvu
04-19-2003, 01:17 AM
I've stared at this jaw dropped for a few minutes, and WOW. I see nothing wrong with it, and can hardly believe it's not real. I love loons, and you have made a beautiful one. I especially like the dot/ stripe things right on the back towards the neck. They seem to glow, and give a regalness to the bird.

lorna12
04-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Gillyvu, Thank you very much for you kind comments! I'm glad you liked my Loon. I like Loons, too. The only thing I like better than looking at them is hearing their wonderful call. In the summer, when I'm in my studio at night, I can hear them and it's seems so peaceful, and all is right with the world.