PDA

View Full Version : erasers for use on watercolor paper

surreal
04-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Hi Watercolorists~

What kind of erasers do you recommend using, for erasing pencil lines on watercolor paper?

I only paint on rough-surfaced paper, which is most often 300 lb. Fabriano paper.

I recently made the mistake of drawing in pencil with an hb pencil instead of my usual 4h pencil and I couldn't completely erase the pencil lines from the paper.

Thanks in advance.

:D :cat: :D

baba
04-17-2003, 01:54 AM
I draw lightly with a 2B and use a kneaded eraser if I don't want the lines to show. Some people claim that the kneaded eraser affects the surface of the paper, but I've never noticed that. If it's really crucial that the pencil doesn't show you should erase as soon as possible, like after the first washes or you can trace your outlines with a very faint watercolour line first, erase when dry and go from there.
Another option would be to draw with watercolour pencils which will blend into the painting.

mchew
04-17-2003, 01:54 AM
I remember we talked about Magic Rub sometime ago but I have never used it since it isn't sold here.... I normally use Steadler Mars Plastic Eraser....

At my weekend art class, a fellow student uses a very soft Korean-made eraser that she bought in Korea... I think it may be the equivalent of Magic Rub... I tried it once and it is extremely soft and could lift all pencil marks effortlessly.

Olga
04-17-2003, 02:00 AM
There was a long discussion of erases not so long ago, Nina. Look
here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89837&highlight=erasers)

(And now the question is if the link will work...first time I try this)

Olga

ptantono
04-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by mchew
I remember we talked about Magic Rub sometime ago but I have never used it since it isn't sold here.... I normally use Steadler Mars Plastic Eraser....

At my weekend art class, a fellow student uses a very soft Korean-made eraser that she bought in Korea... I think it may be the equivalent of Magic Rub... I tried it once and it is extremely soft and could lift all pencil marks effortlessly.

Marvin,

Radar eraser is much better than Steadler, it rubs off pencil line better than Steadler. I have not compared Korean eraser to Radar but I can find Korean eraser in my town, the eraser colour is black.

surreal
04-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi All~
Thank you all so much for your responses, which are invaluably helpful to me.
:D

Olga,
Thanks for supplying the link.

pampe
04-17-2003, 10:39 AM
:clap: :clap: MAGIC RUB:clap: :clap:

You know it will remove lines UNDER the paint!!!!!!!!

Little Old Lady
04-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Have to check out Magic Rub. I always use a kneaded eraser.
JoAnn

surreal
04-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Magic Rub sounds great!!!

I live near a Staples store.
I am going to see if they stock it!

pampe
04-17-2003, 11:16 AM
not sure about staples......

*look where I live*

like we have any stores.....but in Houston I got them at the Art Supply

surreal
04-17-2003, 11:20 AM
It must be exquisitely beautiful where you live, Pam.

pampe
04-17-2003, 11:48 AM
unbelievably, Nina

*especially for an x-Jersey-ite*

;)

You should visit some time....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/4054-Pam-dock.jpg

warter
04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Nina, I have always used the drafting type eraser. However I have a very light hand when drawing directly on my paper. When using transfer paper I may get a dent, which even when I use the eraser I may get a shadow from that dent. Now I use a water color pencil when ever possible. No worries mate! It just disappears. I hope this helps.

chookbrown
04-17-2003, 02:05 PM
I used to use graphite but now I use a water soluble colored pencil to do my line drawings with. This way I can leave it there or totally obliterate it with a brush and some water.. I get to decide. :D (yes control freak here)... There are extreme differences in water soluble colored pencils also.. some don't disperse color evenly when wet.. some have high granularity. I have several types being a colored pencil person originally.. after much testing and research I have just purchased the entire set of Faber Castell Albrecht Durer water sol pencils and they are fantastic. Very even color dispersion and light fastness.

Yes I digress from erasers but there are alternatives and I just wanted to share one.

Cheers,

Chooky :D:D:D

Uschi
04-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by pampe
:clap: :clap: MAGIC RUB:clap: :clap:

You know it will remove lines UNDER the paint!!!!!!!!

REALLY??????? From under the paint??? That would be sooooo great!!!
You live and learn - THANK YOU!!!
Uschi

Uschi
04-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Sigh, sigh, tears, tears, I checked Cheap Joe's and two pretty large art stores in the vicinity and no one is carrying it.
Uschi

chookbrown
04-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Uschi
Sigh, sigh, tears, tears, I checked Cheap Joe's and two pretty large art stores in the vicinity and no one is carrying it.
Uschi

Hey Uschi,

you can get it from Dick Blick online. (http://www.dickblick.com/zz215/10/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1343)

also at Mister Art (http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?store=001&group_id=7505)

and in Canada at:

Artistsupplies.com (http://www.artistsupplies.com/Drafting%20Supplies/Erasers.htm)

Failing that.. PM me and I'll send you some.

chooky :D:D:D

indigobluetwo
04-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Hello.

I like using something called Pentel Clic Eraser. You pick it up in any regular office supply store. It is a plastic wand dispenser, the size of a pen, that you put in a long piece of eraser. Something like a pencil holder but it holds replacement erasers. It erases softly and I don't get the oils of my hand on the eraser. So it keeps clean and travels well. Cheap too.

Kristy

pampe
04-17-2003, 04:35 PM
our venerable local sponser has them

here (http://www.dickblick.com/zz215/10/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1343)

lyn lynch
04-17-2003, 07:14 PM
I used the Pink Pearl until "The Thread" appeared and in reading the article I saw that it damaged the paper. I had noticed that, but thought it was something I was doing.

Now I am using the Art Gum to good results but just found the MAGIC RUB in stock at Michael's Craft store and IT IS TERRIFIC...From this point forward, only Magic Rub for me...It's about $1.00

Uschi
04-17-2003, 09:45 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Chooky and Pam!!!!!

By the way, thought I'd mention this, I think it is Susan Harrison-Tustain who uses a good electric eraser for rubbing out highlights from painted surfaces instead of using masking fluid.
Uschi

surreal
05-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi~

I purchased "Magic Rub" at a Staples store within walking distance.

MAGIC RUB is fabulous!
I can't thank you guys enough for recommending it!!!

Howard Metzenberg
05-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by surreal
Hi~

I purchased "Magic Rub" at a Staples store within walking distance.

MAGIC RUB is fabulous!
I can't thank you guys enough for recommending it!!!

Since Magic Rub is by Sanford, you should find it in most office supply stores as well as art stores. At 79 cents retail, you are not going to find it in catalogs, but we have it on the web:

Sanford Magic Rub Eraser
http://www.dickblick.com/zz215/10/

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials

Rod
05-16-2003, 07:22 PM
I always use a soft kneadable putty eraser,

Faber Castell , Knetgummi art eraser ,127020

Rod.

pampe
05-16-2003, 07:43 PM
I am not talented enough to use an electric eraser. I would end up with torn paper and a ruined painting:rolleyes: