PDA

View Full Version : I tried the suede matboard...

Wingnut
04-16-2003, 06:16 PM
I agree, its not easy to figure out after working on paper! :rolleyes:

I ended up sorta scrubbing off the suede part (fuzzies) with my pencils for the most part, after that it wasn't too bad - but not smooth at all. I used such a dark colored board (really dark chocolate brown) it really effected my colors! Some intensified into what seemed like compleatly different color, while others dissapeared entirely! I need a very bright light to see some of it; like the nose (looks great in sunlight! :D )

I used the flash so this really looks brighter than it is - the scanner wouldn't pic it up at all its so dark! I might try and lighten it up a bit if I can guess the right colors.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2003/5883-suedepalomino0403.jpg

(not bad for a quick freehand sketch :cool: I'm sorta proud of myself)

Paul Hopkinson
04-16-2003, 06:52 PM
This has worked out great Wingnut!
I have never tried suede board but would like to in the near future. Sounds complicated though with not knowing how your colours would turn out.

Paul

BlackHorseDesign
04-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Working on coloured ground of any sort will take a little getting used to, because your colours will be affected.

As for working on suede in particular though, I find it's better with the soft pastels, not the pencils. They're too hard. At least as an initial layer. :)

pencils4me
04-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey Wing

this is for you just in case you missed the other one....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2003/3694-banana.gif

:D

Anyway, the first time I saw CP work on suede board was at a local chapter CPSA show. The artist had done a redtail hawk, on rust colored board and it was just beautiful. The trick with this stuff is to make sure you are using a colored board you can incorporate into your image. Light layers and blending with a stiff brush or fingers works wonders. ;)

Your quick sketch is really nice, you have reason to be proud!

I did my Little Boy Blue on this stuff... and a painting of Rocky. So you got anymore pieces of this stuff laying around? What ya gunna do next?

TJ

Wingnut
04-16-2003, 09:18 PM
ahhh... cute... er... bananna? :cat: LOL!

I'll do another later on the suede, I have a lighter colored piece (perfect for a buckskin maybe? :cool: ) I might try the pastels on it next time too.

As for my next project...

pencils4me
04-17-2003, 12:43 AM
As for my next project...

:eek: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!! this is just an amazing picture - this your final crop?

*drools*

Ooooo what do you have in mind for this one?

TJ

lorna12
04-17-2003, 01:47 AM
I really like what you did with this suedeboard!! IMHO, it's terrific!

As for your next one, HOLY COW! Is that ever going to be a beaut!! The flowing mane, the peek-a-boo eye, wow!!! I can hardly wait to see it!!

Crias
04-17-2003, 09:06 AM
This version looks nice Wing! I have a piece almost the same color as you did here...a dark brown. I'll have to think about what will work on it. Its interesting to work on huh? The color of the board definately shows through a lot more than regular paper IMO.

BTDogMom
04-17-2003, 10:45 AM
GORGEOUS - don't really know what else 2 say - it's really gorgeous!!!!:clap: :clap:

white-anubis
04-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Turned out great! I've been wanting to try that, but every time I pull out the suedeboard I get scared and talk myseld out of it! Can't wait to see what you do with the white horse!

crazeejumper
04-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Like your pretty palomino Paso! What a beautiful mane s/he has! The pic for the next one looks awesome! :clap:

RachelG*
04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Great Palomino!! the background looks great! your next one looks awesome, too!

Redsy333
04-17-2003, 11:23 PM
I think its lovely! Beautiful work indeed!;)

shedreamsbig
04-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Very nice!!

I look forward to seeing you next one too!

Christina