Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
finished

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
comments, thoughts, etc. all welcome.
i'll try to get a better photo tomorrow.

artbabe21
04-15-2003, 09:19 PM
with all your talent and styles......great job on this!!

Lorijo
04-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Looks fine, nice composition. But the title, they do look Irish, but they don't look like they are working very hard!:D Lorijo

gillyvu
04-15-2003, 10:07 PM
I'd buy this! (If i had money...) It's really pretty, I love the relaxed air to it. It's simplistic, but you really feel all the emotion, you can imagine them talking about the National Football team. How Roy Keane should untwist his knickers, and you just know they are supposed to be working. It's a small story in a great painting. To me, the most important thing in art is the story it tells and the emtion it conveys, and you did it! Congrats!

designditz
04-15-2003, 10:07 PM
perfect :)

coulter
04-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Ahhh, I like it. you're makin' strides, leaps and bounds, this is a great step forward!

I looked again, wonderful color, wonderful forms, an idea conveyed artfully :clap:

Mark

s-augustson
04-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Thank you everyone! I really liked painting this. This is one of only 2 of my favorite paintings I have ever done.

Lorijo, on my site I had changed the title to "break time".
titles are not my fortae. I would be content with calling them painting 1, painting 2, etc. LOL.

Is it good to have so many different styles? I would rather have one style I think. I just dont know what that is yet.

Shawn

artbabe21
04-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by s-augustson
Is it good to have so many different styles? I would rather have one style I think. I just dont know what that is yet.

I THINK you are one LUCKY guy for having more than one style...
I'd be content to have ONE...:crying:

You'll figure it out...:D

wildfleur
04-15-2003, 11:59 PM
I love the lighting, and the looseness of the painting. You can almost feel the sun, the air and dust.

Keep up the good work!
Siobhan

woodguy
04-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Shawn....I like this style the best so far....and agree wholeheartedly with Mark and Sarah! Jim

bocote
04-16-2003, 03:26 AM
this is very good work. hands, debth, feeling, continuity, and just over all impression I find attractive. I particularly like the shapes of the heads and lack of specific detail... its really leaves alot to the viewer to think about. Personally I can see those 3 old men and can just make out enough of your painting to relate it to it. background is indeed quite simple and very descriptive. I bet this looks quite a bit better IRL.

The only thing I would like to see different is a little debth or shading on the hay the man on the left is sitting on.

andyvry
04-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by s-augustson

nicely done Shawn......don't get too hung up on styles........I'm not really sure what it means. Paint myself in many ways but generally, people who are familiar with my work can recognise 'one of mine' when they see it.....and I don't mean AFTER they've looked for my signature. :D

andy

s-augustson
04-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Thank you everyone! you sure know how to pick a guy up, LOL.
Jim, I have been watching your paintings, they are what inspired me to try to paint in this style. Glad you commented :)

bocote, we dont live that far apart from each other. Do you know of any places to submit work too. I think it is too late for the Ohio state fair. Do you know any artist organizations in Ohio that show local works, etc? We have a lot fo galleries here but I am not ready to show anything to them yet. I thought I might start with all the fairs here this summer if I can find out where to take my work to. There is about 5 in my area.

The painting I think does look better in real life. It is one of my wifes favorites also that I have done.

If anyone has time. Take a look at my site. I redesigned it last night. You should see a white background and this painting is on the front page. http://www.augustson.com and let me know how it looks, etc. (I will probally take off the commission page, I dont think anyone would want me to paint them just yet. Maybe in the future :) I get caught up in feeling like I need to add content to my site so I start adding everything to take up space, LOL.

Shawn

Rosic
04-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Thumbs up on this painting and the web-site!
Rosic

bocote
04-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Shawn: we do indeed live close; I dont know of any state shows though... infact I dont know of much of anything as it relates to the art field in terms of places to show work, sell work, or just get interest in your stuff.

I'm a full time carpet cleaner and retired computer engineer and have spent very little time outside of my house focusing on anything art related. I know of local clubs here in cincy, but I just dont know about anything state wide or in columbus.

How many pieces of artwork have you accumulated?

have fun,

Bocote

Ceu
04-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Beautiful. work shawn. it's so full of life and energy from the men that one can see what they feel.:)