PDA

View Full Version : Question about painting Surface Texture

Sixoclock
02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure if this would be better posted here or in Mixed Media, so I am opting for both. :)

I have a piece of MDF that I applied a texture to with Venetian plaster. What I am trying to do is have some of the raised bits of texture be one color and have the overall background be another. Almost as if the color is pushing through, you know?

I tried painting the main BG color first and kind of lightly "highlighting" the peaks with the other color but that did not give the nice effect I was looking for.

I also tried painting the peak color and then painting the BG color on top of it and then kind of sponging or dry-brushing the BG color off of the peaks. Kind of having mixed results with this one. :/

I'm kind of looking for a similar effect as seen here:

http://azure11.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Apply-Paint-To-A-Textured-Surface

But the method mentioned was not really working for me either. I've been trying to do some research on other methods but my search results are not as plentiful as I had hoped.

Any thoughts?

idylbrush
02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
The answer seems to be in the link you have posted. They used a moist sponge to remove paint while still wet to create this effect. Another interesting effect is to paint (using an airbrush or spray can) from one direction. Turn the piece around and use another color from that direction. Great visual.

paznbaz
02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Pawn, I posted an answer yesterday but it vanished, so....
I used this type of finish many times in my working life as a scenic artist/signwriter. The best approach is to paint all with the highlight colour or colours, when totally dry paint all over with a thinned or retarded background colour(s), immediately use lint free cloth or a sponge to remove paint on highlight areas by wiping or dabbing to the required finish.

Paul

www.paulbennettfineart.com

Sixoclock
02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you much, idylbrush. I'll keep at it. I kinda want to avoid airbrush at this point though-- but that's an awesome idea!

Thank you as well Paul!! At least it's good to know I was on the right track at one point.Since then I have painted over the whole thing, I don;t even know how many times. >_>

I think a portion of my issues are also hindered by my unsure composition decisions as well as color choices. My brain is still working on it though.

I ahve been trying to look up some decent abstract art tutorials to see if something can help push me a bit, but so far am almost being hindered by my continuos search but lack-luster results. There are so many sites that offer "video classes" but I get gunshy to buy them as I bought one once that looked great and turned out to be anything but.

Can anyone here offer any feedback on the Joe Digiulio videos? I will also give the forum a search after posting this.

Thanks again!

idylbrush
02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Doesn't have to be airbrush, consider Montana Gold spray paints or simple atomizer.