PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Stallions

Lorrainejoy
04-15-2003, 01:03 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-15-2003/21336_Fighting_Stallions.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fighting Stallions
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This art piece is a mixed media where I had only the reference photo of the horses. I had to make up the background myself.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My concerns are, one, did I use the right colors to create depth in the painting, or should I have used other colors that would be better to show the depth in this. I appreciate any comments.

bocote
04-15-2003, 01:22 AM
nice work. I'll be honest and say that I am not a horse expert, but these 2 are done very well.

Specifically looking at the debth that you created: pastel blue fading into a more detailed green for the trees. yellow grass fading into a more detailed green/mixed. It looks very good to me and I'm sure it looks better IRL. Its hard to see particular details in the trees, but the grass looks very nice and I definetely get a feeling of space and debth. I am very happy and dont feel that you need to be concerned with the colors that you selected; they are perfect IMO.

One minor thing I felt when I first looked at it... The horses seem to just kinda be there so I looked closer. The shadowing for the animals is a bit sparce. Also between the right horses feet and to the right of the tail there is a reduction of detail and it looks a little highlighted on the edges.

Very nice artwork.

have fun,

Bocote

jerryW
04-15-2003, 06:28 AM
nice overal,
I most like the left horse for the treatments of color and shading, perspective and form

Ginette
04-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Since your question was about depths, I tried to demonstrate how maybe a little more depths can be achieved.
The trees far back have less saturation even though they are darker.
The grass farther back is lighter and also less saturated the grass closer to the front have more saturation and a fresher green.

I love horses and I love your stallions.

I hope you did not mind my demo. :)

Ginette