PDA

View Full Version : The Last Warrior

Lorrainejoy
04-14-2003, 07:26 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-14-2003/21336_The_Last_Warrior_II.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Last Warrior
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was done completely in colored pencil and I am hoping it depicts the dignity but poverty of the Native American Indian.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in hearing about how I might improve this piece or things that might be wrong with it.

jerryW
04-14-2003, 07:31 PM
the lower right has a lot more happenning than the upper left which is a flat pink color.
perhaps the source image has some clues about what to do to bring more activity into the pink.

Jester7
04-14-2003, 08:24 PM
That is wonderful work... I'm awed by the face and the tones. I would crop out some of the top to right above the hair to minimize the pink... it does distract from the piece a little. Also, maybe a slightly darker background (sorry... that's one of my "things" :) or a sliding scale of values starting dark on the left and becoming lighter on the right to avoid removing value from the fabric at the bottom right.

I've attached some slight mods via photoshop.

Cheers,
J

andyvry
04-15-2003, 06:58 AM
this is a beautiful and sensitively handled portrait.

however,, the starkness of the background is out of context.....unsympathetic, if you like with the subject. I think it would make a tremendous and even more powerful impact if it was altered and made more 'natural'. give the matter some consideration...try some overlays, perhaps before committing your cps to paper.

andy.

Lorrainejoy
04-15-2003, 07:28 AM
I thank you all for your very good suggestions and will definitely use all of them. I totally appreciate your critiques. Thanks.

Wayne Gaudon
04-15-2003, 07:50 AM
the message is not contained in the piece but the work is quite lovely .. I do find that the background is too flat and doesn't give the work any distance ..