PDA

View Full Version : New materials

rwhale
04-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Just bought the little 5x7 in. 4-pack of Ampersand Pastelbord from Dick Blick, and had to try them. This is on the grey. I still have the green, sand, and white to try. I really like this surface!!
:clap: :D

-Roger

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2003/9937-cal_lil_wc.jpg

Dark_Shades
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
ohhhhh wonderful colours on this Roger...... like it alot, not tried this make before, but recently tried the sample pack of papers on offer at Dakota pastels mentioned by Meow, you get 18 sheets appx for around $25.00 - loved trying them out.

Dont they work differently and have a wonderful feel..... well done Roger

BTDogMom
04-14-2003, 01:53 PM
I really like your beautiful flower Roger - lovely work!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

rwhale
04-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks, DS and BT!! I've been wanting to try some different surfaces, and this one seemed to work out pretty well! It definitely grabs ahold of the pastel, and can take alot of layers. The only thing I don't really care for is the size (but I deliberately bought the small 5x7 size as they were cheap;) ). I plan to do some more flowers on the others in the pack, and then look into buying some bigger sizes.

Thanks for the compliments on the colors! The colors were one of the things that drew my attention to this. It's based off of a reference picture in the library here. I think mustcreate posted it (I'll have to double-check!).

-Roger

rwhale
04-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Just checked the reference library....the reference picture was from ArthurG, not mustcreate. Sorry about that!!!:o Here's the reference picture for those who are curious.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2003/9937-8015calla5b72dpi.jpg

E-J
04-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks for sharing, Roger ~ love the yellow against the purple :) Trying new surfaces is ridiculously exciting ~ I bought the Dakota sampler too. 5x7 is a cute size: you could do several little flower paintings and hang them together as a series.

doe
04-14-2003, 05:55 PM
I've been a fan of Ampersand Pastelbord for quite awile, just love the ruggedness of it. Nice flower too!:)

butterfly
04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Wow Roger that is great!

I really like the idea of trying different paper samples. My pastel teacher at the museum is always suggesting we do that.

Can I purchase the sample packs through the internet at Dick Blick or do you have to go in person? Are there any stores here in Florida?

Butterfly/Roni

doe
04-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Hope you don't mind Roger, I know the answer here for B/Roni.

B/Roni - no, we don't have Dick Blick in FL. But you can go to Jerry's Artorama and get some of the Ampersand Pastelbord - it's not paper it's a masonite board with a sanded gesso applied that takes tons of pastel layers, or paint or whatever you want to do to it. You can also order it online from just about anyone, especially Dick Blick. The other Dakota sampler pack is available online at www.dakotapastels.com.

Inkling
04-15-2003, 03:42 AM
What a gorgeous flower! I really like the ampersand pastel board panels for painting outside on location.

rwhale
04-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the comments E-J, doe, butterfly, & Inkling! It was definitely fun to use the pastelbord:D !
5x7 is a cute size: you could do several little flower paintings and hang them together as a series.
That was my plan. Wasn't sure if I would frame each separately and hang them as a group, or if I would frame them together. Still trying to decide (but I guess I should do the other 3 first!!;) :p ).
No problem, doe! That's one of the things I like best about WetCanvas...there's so many people willing to share and help!:clap:
I really like the ampersand pastel board panels for painting outside on location.
I'm glad to hear this! This was my main reason for buying this small pack. I know during the summer, we'll be going on various trips, and I wanted to take a surface along with me that's durable, and less likely to be affected by whatever weather is occurring.

Thanks again, everyone!!

-Roger

Redsy333
04-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Wonderful work Roger:D
I love the textured surfaces myself, thats why I love the Art spectrum paper/board. Its not as flimsy as paper its more like a posterboard with acrylic on it:D

rwhale
04-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Redsy! Hopefully I'll find some more time soon to work on the other 3!:D

-Roger

butterfly
04-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by doe

B/Roni - no, we don't have Dick Blick in FL. But you can go to Jerry's Artorama and get some of the Ampersand Pastelbord - it's not paper it's a masonite board with a sanded gesso applied that takes tons of pastel layers, or paint or whatever you want to do to it. You can also order it online from just about anyone, especially Dick Blick. The other Dakota sampler pack is available online at www.dakotapastels.com.

Thank you Doe. Believe it or not my pastel teacher today at the Museum mentioned the masonite boards with sanded gesso, etc.
I book marked the Dekota site so that I can try some of the samples offered. I have a picture being framed at Jerry's so I will look for the Ampersand Pastelbord. I didn't see it in the one in Deerfield, have never been to the one in West Palm. I will have to ask when I go there this week or next.

Thanks again,
Roni

sweetiness
04-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Very lovely painting Roger. That sanded paper seems to have helped you achieve more depth and sort of an impasto quality that is very attractive. I'm gonna have to try some of that.
Can't wait to see the rest of the series!

Birdie
04-16-2003, 12:13 AM
very nice work....you should do it bigger..you just keep getting better and better...

Birdie:D

doe
04-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Roger, another unique thing about using the boards is the framing options are different. I don't use a mat when framing these but a spacer instead and buy a frame with linen liner. Just wanted to pass that along too.

Also, I'm going to try to make my own, but when I went to Home Depot the guy on saw duty didn't know how to use the saw, so I have to go back and hope someone else is on duty. If I ever get it accomplished I'll have the sizes I want in addition to the standard ones available.:)

ginatec
04-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Beautiful little flower...it will look superb as one of a set!
I am green with envy because I can only get Canson paper...it would be lovely to try these other makes. Maybe when I am on holiday in Salamanca I can look to see if there is anything new there.

rwhale
04-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Butterfly,
If you don't find it in West Palm, I would recommend Dick Blick. I was very impressed with their quick delivery and the packing conditions.

Sweetiness,
That sanded paper seems to have helped you achieve more depth and sort of an impasto quality that is very attractive.
It just grabs the pastel so easily! It was very different from the Canson I've worked on before. I didn't realize how heavy-handed I was until I started this one!:D Thanks for the encouragement!

Birdie,
you should do it bigger
Maybe after I get the other 3 done. Of course at the speed I work, that could take a couple months!:p Thanks for the compliment!

Doe,
the framing options are different. I don't use a mat when framing these but a spacer instead and buy a frame with linen liner. Just wanted to pass that along too.
Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about not using a mat. There's always more to learn! Good luck on making your own also. I'd like to know how that goes for you. Thanks again!

Ginatec,
Thanks for the kind words! I'm looking forward to completing the set.I can only get Canson paper I wish I could help you out here, but I know next to nothing about what it would take to get these over in Spain. I know Dick Blick ships internationally, but I would think the shipping costs could be somewhat high. Maybe some of the European WCers can help out with info on this? Thanks again!

-Roger

bnoonan
04-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Roger, this painting is tremendous. I keep going back to see the rich colors and the loose strokes you've achieved. Magnificent job and you seem to be taking to the new materials very well.

Thanks for sharing - more, more....

barb

rwhale
04-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Barb! The encouragement is always appreciated!:D Thanks for sharing - more, more.... I'm hoping to get going on the other 3 within the next week or so. With Easter coming up (and me being in the church choir), this week is pretty tied up with practices, along with the typical work and family stuff;) ! I'll get them posted as quickly as I can. Thanks again!

-Roger