PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Strasse (Taxi Street)

London
04-14-2003, 09:26 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-14-2003/17523_Taxi_Strasse.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Taxi Strasse (Taxi Street)
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x24 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I posted this a couple of days ago in the Acrylics forum and didn't get a lot of feedback (though I do appreciate what I got!). What concerned me was that I didn't get a lot of views either, on this or another I posted shortly afterward. Both had views under 50, which is pretty low. This means (A) my posting hours in Europe don't correspond well with viewing in US or (B) this is really a boring, no-good painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this style interesting? Are my lack of details too boring? Anything else that you see that will help me improve?

Wayne Gaudon
04-14-2003, 10:31 AM
the style is ok with me but I would like to see it carved in crystal so it would come alive with color.

artbabe21
04-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi London...interesting piece that certainly conveys the madness/scurry of traffic...:)

Chuck
04-14-2003, 01:22 PM
like everything about it...especially the (action & movement) gesture.

soap
04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
As was said already, the style is great, so is the subject and the composition.....why it does not work for me......the colours/tones are too dull.

If you want to stay in greys - use more values.
If you want to work in colours - use richer colours, for instance here: use richer yellow and white to make it pop more. The red in the front car's lights could also do with some more boldness. Maybe you can add reds to all the cars' lights......it would contrast great with the great grey city.

Hope you don't mind my comments - just trying to help. But my ideas might not 'work' for you. It's all a matter of personal taste.
:)

Gilberte
04-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi and welcome from another European.
A) your painting : I like the loose style but would love more color !
B) posting hours : no problems concerning views I think but in my opinion one gets more views during the weekend.
Bis bald !

jerryW
04-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
like everything about it...especially the (action & movement) gesture.

it has the freshness which can be achieved with quick direct work and is hard to maintain in sessions that last more than 1 day.

a spatial logic and a color logic play together.

Chuck
04-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Very interesting comments here, regarding color. As for me, I like this painting...as is. Drab weather with flat (light) time of day, the impersonal size of a city, perhaps a depressing destination...all add to a melancholy mood rendered with limited palette and subdued values. Not every book "bright,” song “sweet,” dance "joyful." So too exists an “artistic license” with the visual.

artbabe21
04-14-2003, 07:28 PM
agree with what you have said Chuck, not all paintings need sing...btw, your tinyhead rocks!!

Chuck
04-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by artbabe21
agree with what you have said Chuck, not all paintings need sing...btw, your tinyhead rocks!!
My "tinyhead???"...a melancholy mood rendered with limited palette and subdued values.

artbabe21
04-14-2003, 08:02 PM
tinyhead---the photo we place in our post......got it now?
lol, are you blonde too??

jaymarvin
04-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Then again I'm a nut for loud colors. Other than more colors the painting is great!

Jay

Chuck
04-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by artbabe21
tinyhead---the photo we place in our post......got it now?
lol, are you blonde too??
Now Cathleen, ya have this, brown haired, guy blushing...

artbabe21
04-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
Now Cathleen, ya have this, brown haired, guy blushing...

Chuck, that is SUCH a way cool tinyhead, how'd ya do it?Never mind I'd be so lost trying to follow you anyway...:)