Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
still working on this.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Here is another WIP I am doing. I signed up for a WC art project where you do a portriat of members of WC. I chose Dark Angel. I figured with a name like that I could do it with the gray colors, make it runny, and it would be fun.

What do you think so far? Is it a keeper?
I made the photo small for now until I am finsihed. I need to smooth out the paint some but keep it runny. Right now its has too many brush storkes that are transparent. I want to add some more paint today now that it is dry and make it run a little more.

Shawn

andyvry
04-14-2003, 08:17 AM
oh yes Shawn.......stick with it.......slooking good, really!

andy.

jerryW
04-14-2003, 08:18 AM
smart.
it is really happenning.

oramasha
04-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Looking dramatic and slippery. I hope it doesn't scare your kids. You get better w/ each post!

(Unlike me, who after 8 hours of working on a an infant portrait this weekend, discovered it looked best in the trash can.):crying:

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Thank you Jerry and Andy! DO you think I should stick with the grays or try to add a touch of color to it also?

oramasha, a lot of mine look good in the can also. In fact a lot go there after I have tried to paint over the canvas a gazzilion times. LOL.

Shawn

artbabe21
04-14-2003, 11:08 AM
lots of hidden talents you possess...here we have yet another style! I like...are you searching for what style suits you or just experimenting? It seems no matter how I try I paint quite the same in every painting...need to paint as much as you have lately!

Wes Hyde
04-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Shawn, this is my favorite of yours so far. I'd leave it gray, or if you decide to add color, just a tiny little touch, maybe only a small thin line somewhere along the edge of her face... and muted.

Wes

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 11:25 AM
I am just experimenting I guess. I think it is part of my problem. I want to have a style and do all my work or at least a good part of things in the same style but everything I do comes up and out different.

I want to get a body of work that I feel is good and then submit them to the galleries here and see if I can get something shown. The only people that have ever seen my work are family and people on WC. One weekend a month here they have a "gallery hop" and people go down the street from one gallery to the next, etc.

I just need to get some quality work first, and find a style :)

This painting though, when I saw the photo she submitted of herself, this vision of the painting just popped into my head immediately. Something about the name and the pose just took off. I have got to work on it more though. I really like the runny paint part. I just need to pull it together more. I just hope the poor girl doesn't take offense to the style I chose for the painting.

Here is details of the project.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=404

Shawn

Wes Hyde
04-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Shawn, stick to this style and you should have no trouble with the galleries. Get 10 to 15 good quality paintings like this in a portfolio with your artist's statement and start sending it out.

Wes

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks Wes! I will do a few more. I had an idea for another one, self portrait wise while I was painting this one. Do you think I should stay gray for them all, or would that be too many gray pieces?

Shawn

Wes Hyde
04-14-2003, 12:06 PM
I'd do a few more gray and mix it up a bit with some color... just stick to the style; it's great! I think you've found a niche that's really working for you.

Wes

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 01:10 PM
do you think i should get rid of the run that went down the eye to the face?

is this looking better or am i starting to lose the feeling of it?

shawn

designditz
04-14-2003, 03:46 PM
This is really excellent! I would keep the drip on the face...up to you...i really like this piece...would almost leave it.. really...i'm sure you'll make the right choice with so many right choices already!

Wes Hyde
04-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Leave it. Call it done. Sign it. Sell it.

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Thaks Wes and designditz. You are keeping me inspired!
Signed and hanging on my wall :)
I attached a little better photo. I am going to call this series of paintings "Imperfectly".

The next painting in the series is titled "resistance".

Designditz, I've got Ani DeFranco playing now.

Shawn.

(edit) opps, I posted the thumbnail version. The larger is on the next page. I didnt realize I could edit these post and change the photo too.

s-augustson
04-14-2003, 06:30 PM
opps, that was the thumbnail version.

Here we go.

Shawn

artbabe21
04-14-2003, 06:35 PM
I'd call her 'Weeping Mime'.......too cool...did you intend to stop there when you began???????????????????

Wes Hyde
04-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Great job, Shawn!

anamorphicart
04-14-2003, 07:08 PM
WOW!

Love this!!!
Judy