PDA

View Full Version : Progression of Federal Duck Stamp entries Part 2

Lady_WildlifeArtist
02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Continuing from my previous thread about federal duck stamp entries.

With the 2008 Federal contest to be held in Minnesota, I strove to get an entry in. There was a great selection of species available for entry that year like the shoveler, ruddy, Canada goose, and long-tailed duck. Like many artists, I thought the long-tailed duck had the most potential as a stamp species...the Canada goose is so common and there is so much reference material available I figured the judges would be sick of looking at goose entries pretty quickly. After rough sketching about a half dozen flying entries, I decided a duck on the water entry would be a better approach to the long-tailed duck because of its diver duck status.

This was the most meticulous entry I had yet to create, and I am very happy with it. I just wish I had modified the blue background to a little more neutral blue. That being said, I have never been so satisfied with the physical representation of a duck as I was with this one (so far).

I can't remember how many 'In' votes I got in the first round, but I received 12 points in the 2nd round. Again, not enough to get to the 3rd round, but still good enough to get me tied for 11th place. I thought the judges were particularly harsh this year...there were numerous entries voted out in the first round or low-balled in the 2nd round that I thought really deserved better.

2008 was a pretty good year for my stamp entries: my 2007 MN duck stamp entry had won the previous fall and was the 2008 MN waterfowl stamp, my 2008 MN turkey stamp entry won 2nd place, and MN Ducks Unlimited made me their 2008 sponsor artist. It was a really fun year for stamp art, meeting other artists and outdoor enthusiasts.

Comments and criticism welcome as always.

Obedec
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Fascinating thread. Thank you so much for posting.

tulabula
02-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Your work is fantastic! So meticulously detailed, I love it!

KJSieloff
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm sorry I missed these earlier! They are fantastic!!

bluemoonstar
06-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Your work is really supurb, congrats on your successes do far!

chammi kaiser
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Stunning work Sara. I think you are very talented indeed. Congrats on your 11th place. Personally, I think you should have been placed higher. Haven't seen the others but yours is so lovely.

imommyof5
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
These are amazing. You have incredible talent!

Kim

Lady_WildlifeArtist
07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks and danke for the kind compliments everyone! Sorry I haven't been back on here lately to check...busy working on a federal entry for this year (130+ hrs in already, and only barely half finished)...keep painting and drawing!

Vivien Maloney
07-22-2012, 03:48 PM
What wonderful, meticulous work! I'm sure you should have been placed higher. Good luck for this year.