PDA

View Full Version : Workers on break - WIP (I like this a lot!)

s-augustson
04-12-2003, 07:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-12-2003/7809_irishwip.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Workers on break - WIP (I like this a lot!)
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is what I started to work on today.
I found the photo reference in the WC reference area.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am excited about this one. I really like it so far. I am having fun with it. I have the stereo playing Radiohead "the bends" real loud in my cave while I paint. I was trying to get a good shot but the colors kept coming out funny so I took it like this sitting on my paint box to show it better. Tomorrow I will take a shot upstairs so the natural light coming in from the windows will work better. My cave has yellow walls and makes stuff look funny sometimes. I need to get them painted this summer.

Shawn Augustson

champagneharley
04-12-2003, 07:20 PM
I prefer classical piano or J.J. Cale! :D
I think this is wonderful.
I have always thought that you had a 'style' and glad you are seeing it. I said before this is what sets you apart. The way you paint makes your painting lively and at the same time interesting, never static, and this is good.
This subject is obviously right 'down your alley'!
I would like to see you do more like this maybe with fellow soldiers at work and at rest.
Regards,
Jillian

ceEllicott
04-12-2003, 09:08 PM
I can't say why, but I see a lot of movement already in this - the men look very natural, like I can almost see them leaning, stretching out a bit etc.

I am wondering though, is the top guys hat really so close to the edge?

cheryl

artbabe21
04-12-2003, 10:48 PM
well done so far indeed, Shawn...will look forward to finish...:)

Joe Majury's photo has been popular, it was painted by Ginatec in oil forum a week or so ago...:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99143

Jumping Gemini
04-12-2003, 11:30 PM
great WIP. looking forward to the finished product.

music is a good way to paint freely.

Cindy

designditz
04-13-2003, 01:02 AM
This is gonna be great.. you should be happy! I always paint with my music blaring... I love radiohead..coldplay...chili peppers :) good creating music! can't wait to see the progress on this one!

Murals By Aga
04-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Keep us updated, as this is a very nice start.

s-augustson
04-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments!
I tried to get a better photo today.

Cathleen, Ginatec looks great. I thought about using oils too, but so far everything I have done with oils except for one painting never turns out, LOL. I like her version. I loved that photo as soon as I saw it in the reference library.

Cheryl, I do have his hat close to the top, cut off almost. Is that bad to do?

designditz, I like the music loud too, helps me paint :)
My studio (cave) plays Bad Religion, The Ramones, Radio Head, Pitchshifter, Cold Play, Ninety Pound Wuss, Audioslave. Sometimes I have to get melo and play the Cure, the Dead, Bob marley.
Song 12 though on the Radiohead 'bends' album is about my favorite song in the world.

Shawn

Helen Zapata
04-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by s-augustson
I do have his hat close to the top, cut off almost. Is that bad to do?

I LIKE the hat going off the top. I tend to enjoy paintings which continue out of view.

This is looking really good so far, Shawn!

Helen

s-augustson
04-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Helen. I have to say, this is one of my favorite works I have done. I hope I can keep going and not mess it up, LOL.

Shawn

jaymarvin
04-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Plain and simple. Really nice.

Music? Wilco, Tom Russell, Lucinda Williams, and Steve Earl!

artbabe21
04-13-2003, 12:35 PM
thanks for the close up...it helps me see how loose you are really painting this...wow, i SO admire that sort of looseness, it's what I am trying to achieve...I saw the one of Luc you did that was a different style, not as loose but wonderful as well!

and this is acrylics! I missed that is wasn't oils...:rolleyes:
I can't paint with them at all, oils can be difficult enough!! lol

s-augustson
04-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jay!

Cathleen, do you think I should stick with this style rather than the style I did for the painting of Luc. If I do, would it be bad to put both types on my site. I am trying to redesign my site. I am not sure if I should just put all my work on it, or start focusing on one style and put those pieces on. Which is better? Comments from all appreciated!

Shawn

s-augustson
04-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Todays work so far. So far I still like it. Thats a first for me!

I am thinking about the title of "The Dublin Ramblers"
Maybe I can't though since its the name of the band I am listening to. I threw on some Irish music today.

By the way, anyone know what "Tabhair dom do La'mh" means?
Please let me know if you do :)

Shawn

Ceu
04-13-2003, 04:03 PM
I like what you have here. can't wait to see the all thing.

arourapope
04-13-2003, 06:58 PM
This is coming along beautifully!

Evesangel
04-18-2003, 11:31 AM
I think it means ...give me your hand ....but it could mean give him a hand for me or give me a hand for him...maddening languauge...LOL..BTW...this piece looks wonderful!

ginatec
04-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Hey Shawn...you pinched my models:D I like your taste...I could not resist the photo either. I like the way you are handling this...it's a looser stlye than mine and it adds to the interest. You left the back figure out and I had thought of doing the same but put him in minus the hand to add background curiosity!

s-augustson
04-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments! Here is the finished version. I think I am going to work on the hay a little more though :)

ginatec, I debated on if I should put the back figure in or not. Then I decided not too. I felt he wouldnt be seen really or you wouldnt know it was a figure with the style.

I noticed you add him on yours. It was interesting to see both our paintings and how we approached it.

I also used limited colors when painting.

Shawn

qaziasif
04-20-2003, 07:41 AM
really nice topic would love to c u somewhere inside this painting.. ahaha..
wish u good luck

champagneharley
04-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Well done!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Regards,
Jillian

jerryW
04-20-2003, 10:37 AM
really great
you are ready to
tame wilder colors now