GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Waiting"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 9 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My intent was to be quick and stay loose. .....but.....

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think I need to take it in a little tighter direction. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jim

designditz
04-12-2003, 03:06 PM
I like the looseness in everything, but her face looks like you put more detail then stopped...so either lees or more on the face:)..hows that for making sense!

Paintonbrush
04-12-2003, 05:41 PM
loose style good all the way around, agree the face is a bit disconcerting, and maybe crop in closer to get more in touch with her. was this a live model?
The amazing parts are her dress, feet, the shadow and chair...awesome in many respects

woodguy
04-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Sarah and Diane. I agree that the face is bothersome. I always have trouble in this area. This painting is based on a photograph that I saw in a magazine. Jim

coulter
04-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Great Jim, very interesting painting, even if hasn't come together yet, there's so much mystery and interest in the colors, shadows and brushwork, wow!

Mark

ceEllicott
04-12-2003, 09:22 PM
I like the loose style - this is really interesting. The colors look good except the skin - - it's too dead.
What do you think about making those shadows on her skin a bright reddish tone instead?
here's a quick example (messy, sorry)

cheryl

simon levenson
04-13-2003, 01:55 AM
i am jelous (sp)

Luzie
04-13-2003, 02:21 AM
You are on a roll, turning out all thede great interiors, which I love, I agree the face needs work (lip and chin especially) other than that maybe some warmer skintones here and there, great light on that chair!

andyvry
04-13-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi Jim, as everyone I think has commented, the face......hmm.... spose it's a matter of finding the right balance. The whites of the eyes may just be a little too stark, which can 'throw you' off when you are trying for the right 'balance. Perhaps you could try some loose 'thumbnails' of the face to find the right recipe - to see what works and all that. (I like the picture btw)

andy.

woodguy
04-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Mark! I spent some time on this last night and think that I am going to leave it alone for awhile.

Thanks, Cheryl! I added some reddish tones, does it help?

Thanks, Simon!

Thanks, Luzie! I tried to add some detail (suggestion of) to the chin and lips. Still not happy with it, though.

Thanks, Andy! I knew that the whites in the eye were a little stark, so I did try to take it down a bit.

ceEllicott
04-13-2003, 02:22 PM
skin looks much better.

still I think a bit more red - right down the middle area, & ball of shadow cheek etc. would be tolerated quite well. Someone once said to put your most vivid colors in the middle - between your light-highlights and your dark shadows. Works for me.
and take a look at her chin, left side needs rounding a bit. I think it's too pointy to be enjoyable to look at.
other than that, this is an eye-catcher for sure.

cheryl

woodguy
04-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Good advice. Cheryl! I am going to put this one way for awhile and let it dry. Later I can do some more work on this troublesome face. Jim

mattlart
04-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi Jim.,..
What critique needed to be given,...has already been covered by the others.
Your brushwork and skill in working with inatimate objects has developed well. You just need to practice painting figures!;)
Proportion,..features,etc........all come with lots of practice and patience, my friend...:p Just keep painting them...:cat: Cheers,-Scott