PDA

View Full Version : Siberian white tiger

aRt4us
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Iíve been commissioned to paint a Siberian white tiger, my client gave me a photo he had taking from the internet not realising the implications of copy right.

So Iíve done two draft sketch poses, loosely base on the photo for him to choose from.
He has decided to commission both.
Iíve search the internet to gain the owner permission but there is no record on the wallpaper sight that shows the image, any ideas?
Here is the photo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2012/82849-05.jpg

Here is one I've compiled from two photos, I've started to paint.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2012/82849-01.jpg
Painting fun
Gary

KarenESP
02-16-2012, 06:33 PM
what great photos though!

aRt4us
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Here is the first stage of the painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2012/82849-01Painting.jpg

Painting Fun
Gary

KarenESP
02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
nice!!

aRt4us
02-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks Karen, I viewed your talent on face book and I like your style and your colour choice. There are a few I really like, the cheetah, the leopard and a few of the horses.

More of the first stage.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2012/82849-02Painting.jpg

Painting fun
Gary

David Dowbyhuz
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Brilliant, Gary. Far removed from the anal way I work. ;)

Also, I don't for a minute believe you're taking bread from the photographer's mouth. This is very much your work!

Best,
Dave

aRt4us
02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dave, I admire your detailed sketch and painting process in your WIPs, Iím just hit and mist and messy but get there in the end.

Generally copy right is an issue Iím aware of and try to gain permission, If not I try to formulate an image from several photos so that copy right infringement is not a full on issue hopefully. Where I gain permission I copy the image as the photo and maybe alter the colouring so there is always something of the artist choice involved.

Here I've put several images togather.

Painting fun
Gary

aRt4us
02-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Putting in the first bit of furring detail. To help the line of the small brush flow, I glaze the area to be furred with a 50/50 mix of Liquin & linseed and dry brush of most of the glaze so the surface is semi wet. Now the fur lines flow with ease. The line of the fur is then blended at the inner end so it looks like its disapearded into the fur. More very soon.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2012/82849-03Painting.jpg

Painting fun
Gary

Orchid Lady
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Brilliant, Gary. Far removed from the anal way I work. ;)

Also, I don't for a minute believe you're taking bread from the photographer's mouth. This is very much your work!

Best,
Dave

Now, David, I thought you learned your lesson about copyright infringement when you posted a wolf photo taken from Julie Bell's blog (and offered it for someone to paint) without her permission. "Taking bread from the photographer's mouth" is not the issue. The issue is a possible infringement of the photographer's copyright! I'm glad Gary is thinking about the copyright issue, because there certainly is one involving these photos that were taken from the internet.
Gary: Why don't you get the website address from your client and do a diligent search for the photographer, because these photos are really terrific and I'm sure the photographer will want to take credit for them. Otherwise, you're using these photos at your own risk, since your client's not the one who will be libel should a valid copyright issue arise -- it will be you who are libel.

aRt4us
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Linda
I heard what youíre saying and I have and still am doing a diligent search for the talented photographer of the original image. This photo image Iíve used is from a free wallpaper site with no details of the photographer/s, hopefully Iíll succeed, if not Iím still gaining the joy of putting my own spin on a beautiful image (Tiger no 2).
In this image Iíve used the body off one photo (looking to gain permission) and the face of a copy right free photo and the stripes are from another copy right free photo.
So this painting only hold the paws and shoulder of the photo which maybe copy right free.

Thanks for your concern.
Painting fun
Gary

aRt4us
02-19-2012, 06:10 AM
The first stage of furring dry. I now add shadows within the fur while putting in the darks of the stripes. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2012/82849-04Painting.jpg

Painting fun
Gary

aRt4us
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Added the eyes, I decided on a strong blue.
Still playing with the furring, C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2012/82849-05Painting.jpg

Painting fun
Gary

chammi kaiser
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Gary, I think your cat is just great but not so sure about those bright blue eyes. I honestly feel they are just a bit too much but that is just MHO. The fur is beautiful.

aRt4us
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Chammi, I think your right.
I'll play around with them soon.
Many thanks for your C&C and your very kind comment on the furing.

Painting fun
Gary

Dave Hawk
02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Gary this is coming along nice. I vote on the eyes would be golden. All that blue will make the golden eyes POP

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Looking fabulous. I find the footprint in the snow an interesting touch (:

aRt4us
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Here is the photo ref for the blue eyes, I think mine is a touch to blue I tone down and lighten on the second glaze of the eyes.
Thanks for your kind comments

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2012/82849-011.jpg

The foot print indea came from one of the reference photo's I was studying.

Painting fun
Gary

Barb'sArt
02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Coming along nicely! I think you're decision to tone down the blue eyes is a good one. I like the blue eyes but thought they were a bit too intense. Love your WIP, watching...

bluemoonstar
03-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Fun to watch this coming together - its going to be beautiful! I like the footprint in the snow, nice touch.
Our blue-eyed husky started life with deep sapphire-blue eyes, and as she aged, they steadily became a light ice-blue. Maybe tigers eyes change too.

aRt4us
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Many thanks for your kind comments, Barb and Pat.
Working on both Tigers this weekend, hopfully updates on Sun/Mon.
Painting Fun
Gary

KarenESP
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
coming right along (:

ArtbyPeggy
03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Beautiful!

aRt4us
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you Peggy and Karen, almost done some fine tweaking on hightlight fur and whiskers to add.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2012/82849-06Painting.jpg

Painting fun
Gary

KarenESP
03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Really detailed, can actually see the snow reflection in the fur :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up!

wildlifeart89
03-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Looks fantastic Gary! I really admire the detailing in the fur, and the way you've painted the snow...it looks so realistic!
Paige

Barb'sArt
03-04-2012, 03:21 PM
This is fabulous! I love the colors, just glowing!:clap:

bluemoonstar
03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Gorgeous! Love the tiger and the snow!

kasey1
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM
regarding copyright, having been in the professional photography field as well as a professional artist, my understanding from PPA (and i believe Tad Crawford's book) if taken to court and a 'lay' jury can look at the painting and the photograph and see a resemblance to the photo then the owner of the photo wins.

beautiful photos, to bad you can't find the photographer.

aRt4us
03-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Thank you all. Karen, Paige, Barb, Pat & Karen1.
Nice to know about the act of infringment of copy right.
This image has the body and paws of one tigers photo, the head and ears of two other photos and the stripes are from several tiger photo's.
The body photo is the one I'm looking for the photographer.
still searching.
The free wallpaper site has the photo and a policy that if you can prove copyright they would remove the image. The image is put up by visitor to the web site for free use. But the visitor could possibly be putting any photo up which might not belong to them. The site don't hold records of visitor who put photo up.
Painting fun
Gary

bluemoonstar
03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Interesting comments on the copyright issue. Since most of us rely on multiple photo references for animals we can't photograph directly, I would think that as long as you don't copy someone's photo composition exactly, it wouldn't be infringement.
Also, I think it depends the use of the art-- if its done for a private client & will not be seen publicly, or if the art will be sold as an original or reprinted-- walking a thin line commercially.

I worked for a ceramics company & knew an artist who sued them because one of her pieces showed up as a "craft project" - same shape & pattern as her original piece, just different colors. She won.

aRt4us
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Interesting stuff Iíve read up a slight bit on copy right. It seems that copying any part of an image capture or created by anyone else infringes on the owner copy right. Using the image for inspiration or as reference to shape or form one of your own creations is acceptable.
Example: if youíre painting a bird say a red robin, and you use a photo or other painting to gauge your colours or to see how the feather are shaped or formed, this seems Ok.
A derivative of any part of a photo or image would require the copy right approval or you run the risk of infringement.
I came up with an idea of a mother Elephant charging young male lions away from her young bull ele. I research the internet for lions being tossed into the air and came across several images of lions jumping sideways. It looked like they had been tossed by the tusks of the elephant when I painted it.
Now the idea was my creation but the lions I painted could be argued as derivative of the originals photos, so there is a fussy line here.

I shall only use copy right free images for references to be save.

Interesting to debate.
Painting fun
Gary

aRt4us
03-16-2012, 05:15 AM
I'll call this one finished. C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2012/82849-07Painting.jpg

Painting joy
Gary

Winky'sMom
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Beautifully done, enjoyed watching this one progress.

artsask
03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
My two bits, the second reference picture his eyes have a green hue to them.:) Nice job so far.

ArtbyPeggy
03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Very Nice!

aRt4us
03-17-2012, 06:59 AM
I love your name Wicky's Mum and many thanks for your kind comment and watching the WIP.

My two bits, the second reference picture his eyes have a green hue to them.:) Nice job so far.

Thanks for your nice comment Trudi, yes youíre correct onthe eyes in the ref picture. The customer want blue like most Siberian Tigerare, I would like it a touch more to the green.

Thanks Peggy, I enjoyed painting it.

Painting fun
Gary