PDA

View Full Version : "The Captain"

painter1960
04-12-2003, 11:31 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-12-2003/15045_The_Captain.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "The Captain"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My next door neighbor's parrot was recently killed by a dog she took in. She had the bird for many years and was deeply affected by it's death. Her sister asked me to paint the bird for her as a sort of tribute.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to put the bird's name somewhere in the piece. Is this a good idea, and if so where could I place the name? Also any comments/ideas about casting shadows

jerryW
04-12-2003, 02:38 PM
the bands of color that make up the bird extend realistically with the fence line etc.
this is a joy to discover, and is an essential abstract element
leaves as a sensitive texture works too.
ornamental iron works too.

artbabe21
04-12-2003, 02:49 PM
this has a unique quality to it...I really like how live her appears...really like that tilt to his head!

i am not a fan of names/words on paintings, why ruin it, she can look at it and she knows who it is...perhaps on the back, for it's great as it is...IMHO

designditz
04-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I had a parrot years ago...I had to give him away.. she must be devastated! You have done a beautiful job... he is pretty, soft and sweet looking...as well as his settings!. I think the painting is so perfect that a name might detract from it?...maybe just sign it and put his name etc on the back?...personal choice..lovely work!

painter1960
04-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Cathleen, and Sarah for the responses. Perhaps the name would be a bit much. I got the same response once when I did a painting of stairs ascending into the clouds. I need to let go of that idea, already!!!! I still have some shading to do but am close to being done other than that. Now to find a frame. Thanks again. bobby