PDA

View Full Version : Little Kiss

james.bishop
04-12-2003, 08:43 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-12-2003/766_little_kiss_james.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-12-2003/766_little_kiss_detail_james.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-12-2003/766_little_kiss_detail2_james.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little Kiss
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 38x38cm, 15x15inch
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a study for a larger piece. My first time tackling a square.

This one's "done", but your comments would help greatly as I work on the bigger version (which is oils on canvas).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was unsure about managing composition within a square, just went on "feeling", so any comments on the result would be appreciated.

Also, I changed my mind many times on colour choices (see my tinyhead for my initial "vision" of what this was going to look like), so what do think about where I ended up???

jerryW
04-12-2003, 09:02 AM
for the great big one, my vote is to follow the tiny head which is more gently colored and feels fresher, but I enjoy this big one too.

s-augustson
04-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Very nice James! I agree with Jerry, I like the colors in the tiny head version. It seems cleaner. I do like this version also. I was checking out your site. Love all your work!

Shawn

andyvry
04-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, I'm glad I spotted this one ...............I think the title is wonderful but the painting has a hard look to it, even from the other side of the room......... :p and couldn't agree more for a softer, more gentle....fresher 'biggie'........The composition is really good......almost feel like I'm taking part.....I'm sat here puckering up!!!!!! hahaha :D

andy.

artbabe21
04-12-2003, 11:48 AM
I've admired your tinyhead, excellent...:)
I like this as well, think you've done an awesome job...:D

ps...did you get my email?

james.bishop
04-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Jerry, thank you for your suggestions. Dunno how gentle I can make something that size :p -- the canvas is a metre square (about 40 inches) -- but the consensus seems to be it'd be worth revisiting the tinyhead colours.... Kinda my gut feeling too, but I was having a hard time making it work on this small version. Just couldn't get the nose right :rolleyes:

Shawn, thanks for looking through the web site, I really must try to find some time to update that thing! :rolleyes: Glad you liked the painting, thanks for your comments. :)

Andy, hee hee glad you like the title, I'm thinking of calling the bigger version "Big Kiss" :p Appreciate your comments. Now I'd suggest you stop trying to kiss your computer screen before someone else sees you :evil:

Cathleen, yup, I just picked up your email (I've been away travelling for work all week and just got in last night), I'll get back to ya in a mo'. Really pleased you like this :D

Thanks to everyone for looking in :D

Tamana
04-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi James :) I personally LOVE the color on this one, which just happen to be my favorites. Although I love textured paintings, for some reason it seems to go against the nature of this one, imo. It just seems like it should be more tender, soft, delicate, like skin. Or, is the texture an illusion? ;) The corner of her lips bug me. Too rough or something, not rounded and smoothed. I love the tiangular effect and the balance using the deeper tones and black on him. :) I look forward to "Big Kiss." :D

Shalom,

Tam :)

Paintonbrush
04-12-2003, 05:46 PM
I bet that words cannot express what this does to the viewer in real life. your tiny head is cool....:clap:

beatle_john
04-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Beautifull!!!

You're being able to improve yourself every time, I like the evolution I can watch on your work, I hope to see more...

Jumping Gemini
04-12-2003, 11:49 PM
very sensual.

i like both. i like the bigger one a little better tho.

Cindy

james.bishop
04-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Tam, glad you liked it. :D I think the texture is exagerated in the photo (sunlight was from the side), but still perhaps what is there is distracting nonetheless.

Paintonbrush, thanks! :)

Beatle_john, thank you too. I'm pleased you can see evolution/improvement. Sometimes I wonder if I'm heading in the right direction :p

Cindy, thanks for your comments. :)

And a big kiss to all ;)

bradbrains
04-19-2003, 12:38 AM
I really like this, it has a nice stylized graphic feel that sits well with me.

TScottDove
04-19-2003, 11:18 PM
so VERY sensuous. terrific composition. I agree that the texture detracts somewhat. The tiny-head version appears fresher and less "worked."

reynolds
04-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by TScottDove
so VERY sensuous.

never noticed the texture as my senses were engaged...
this is absolutely luscious....