PDA

View Full Version : Greek Alley

Luzie
04-11-2003, 08:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-11-2003/16199_AlleySecond.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Greek Alley
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
the orange thingy is a sticker, not in the actual painting:-)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any

mpopinz
04-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Very smooth & flowing. Good colors & depth.

(I like your signature too :-)

jerryW
04-12-2003, 04:48 AM
a mindboggling reality.
really an experience.
great job!

designditz
04-12-2003, 04:59 AM
I hope that little sticker has a big price on it!! this piece really blows me away!! amazing work!! :)

johno
04-12-2003, 06:11 AM
luv it , great depth and your eye travels to every inch of the picture looking for something ,i waited for a while to see if a cat wondered out onto one of the balconys.

Wes Hyde
04-12-2003, 10:02 AM
I love it, Luzie. This kind of painting always fires my imagination. In this case I think of Baudelaire: "Across the waves of roofs, I see a woman of mature years, wrinkled and poor, who is always bending over something, and who never goes out. From her face, from her dress, from her gestures, out of almost nothing, I have made up the woman's story, or rather her legend, and sometimes I say iy over to myself..."

Thanks,

Wes

Murals By Aga
04-12-2003, 10:40 AM
I do like it.... but.. here's my two cents.
I know Greeks love their flowers and you can always find life in the streets. I don't mean to spoil your painting or your intentions for it, but what about adding a little life and celebration to it, like a pot of pale flowers and or a cat basking in the sunlight. Neither would need to be a contrast, but rather a compliment, while livening the painting up a bit.
(Some of my family is Greek, and whenever I'm around them, life feels richer).

andyvry
04-12-2003, 10:53 AM
great piece of work.....the carpet over the balcony is 'typical' in my experience.............an alternative study might include baskets of flowers....as already suggested. However, you don't always see floral displays in every street, but they are certainly quite beautiful when you do see them, especially in May - June, In Greece itself you will find hundreds of such 'original' paintings for the tourists to buy. In one sense, these pictures have become something of a cliche - so it's quite refreshing to see an 'ordinary' view.

andy.

Paintonbrush
04-12-2003, 04:45 PM
my eye took some time to wander up through and back down and around. fluid and fascinating.

Luzie
04-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment, mpopinz, Jerry, Johno and Paintonbrush:)
No, Designditz not a price tag (more of an inventory sticker when it was entered into a show;)
Wes, that was beautiful and I can picture it, too, It's a mediterrian must.
Aga and Andryvy, actually there is some red/orange in that rug, it did not show well.
I purposely left any "life form" out, as I did this for a perspective exercise and was solely interested in the arcitectural form (the combination of old and new in europe (where I am from) always faszinates me, especially how well they work together when they shouldn't. I remember all of these small narrow streets where suddenly you step from cold and hostille into warm and soozing.:)