GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Puck
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Portrait of my pop in typical pose, reading. I was the 'model' for this via the looking glass to try and make sense of the lighting. No suitable photos exist of him, certainly not sitting to have his portrait done, that's for sure. Drawing myself then using his features and with guidance from the family, eventually achieved a good likeness (without a doubt, I'm told!) I will be doing another, to try and smooth out a few wrinkles that are bugging me.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I had particular trouble with getting the lighting to look 'right' - like it's supposed to be a reading light, from top right, and the room light to balance. Any suggestions for improvement?

jaymarvin
04-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I don't know about the lighting. But what paper did you use with acrylic?

jay

Helen Zapata
04-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I think your lighting looks great!

He almost looks like he's been carved out of wood, which I think looks pretty cool.

I would only suggest that the arms look too short.

Nice work, I'll look forward to seeing the next one. I bet your family will love these pieces!

Helen

Gia
04-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Very nice portrait....I would emphasize the reading light by
making the right top of the head and right shoulder very bright,
with highlights in the hair...and also make the lower left side
really dark ....just my thoughts

andyvry
04-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks Helen.....Mmm....you maybe got a good point, although the arms are not resting ON the table......Perhaps that gives them that 'short look'

Hi Jay. I use W&N Galeria paper which has a very light texture...I stretch it before painting, like you would for a watercolor...The painting stays nice and flat so there are no problems matting and framing. The only problem with using paper is that the paint tends to dry fairly quickly, but it's something you can get used to.

Thanks Gia, that is something like the help I was looking for.

andy.

designditz
04-12-2003, 05:11 AM
Excellent job on his face!

jaymarvin
04-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Andy! How do you stretch the paper?

Thanks,

jay

jerryW
04-12-2003, 09:06 AM
love the vitality and intensity of this.
I have not yet seen Woodguy's photo, but from
his self portrait I see a resemblance.
as a kid i woudl have had interest in seeing this man
seems like a guy you could count on.

artinoils
04-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Expressive portrait! Nice work. The face and pose I like a lot. The light on face is working.

Lower left where arm and hand meet seem confusing...agree the arms seem short but may just be the angle of arm to the left.

Jumping Gemini
04-13-2003, 12:02 AM
seeing the name and being Canadian, thought is must be a hockey pic.

pleasantly surprised though. this is really amazing. i admire the preparations you took to paint this. the only thing i would say is the hairline on his right side looks sharp and pointy.

he looks wise and witty.

Cindy

andyvry
04-13-2003, 09:14 AM
thanks all, for the comments and input...interesting and helpful.

Cindy Cindy....."Puck" was my mother's name for him.....(you know; as in Shakespeare). He was Dutch - a structural designer by profession - and certainly had all the qualities already mentioned and I find that reassuring that something of his character comes across in his portrait.

Jay.... if you go to the watercolor forum, click on the 'sticky' - "Helpful links, posts etc........." scroll down to 'Tips and Tools' - item TT12 gives you the lowdown for stretching paper.

andy.

jaymarvin
04-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks Andy. How long did it take you to do this?

jay

andyvry
04-13-2003, 07:34 PM
JAY ! :D was working on it over a period of a month, off and on you know, what with all the sketches and stuff before even getting anywhere near to painting. That itself was done over a week, at a guess.........something like that. I tend to let my work lay awhile after it's 'finished' so I can check for any glaring errors or whatever.

andy.

Luzie
04-14-2003, 09:22 AM
I like the tonal quality of this very much and he does look like someone I would like to know:)