GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Figure
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 11 x 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Figurative work is not my forte, but I keep trying!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything will help. Thanks, Jim

artbabe21
04-11-2003, 11:26 AM
You've been hanging out with Scott too long...lol..waiting for Mark's first nude too...then Wes...:D

I really like this is your soft muted style...her hands are beautifully suggested and remind me of the Mona Lisa pose.

Nit would be the dark in nostril, it's a little large...keep going, you do well with figures...do more!

Gia
04-11-2003, 12:49 PM
I like this, I like the style..

Rosic
04-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I like your style also. The soft brush strokes and texture appeal to me but my eye is drawn to the nose where it needs work. I agree with Cathleen about the nostril... somehow it gives a masculine face to such a soft feminine pose and body. I really love your brush stroke style.
Rosic

woodguy
04-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Cathleen, Gia and Rosic....Thanks for your kind comments! And very good points about the nose area. I also feel uncomfortable with the eye as well. But I am working on both areas. The problem for me is that this is so small I really don't have many small brushes to be able to accomplish what I think I need to do. Maybe it is time for a trip to the art store. Jim

Paintonbrush
04-11-2003, 05:39 PM
impasto is very appealing. agree about the nose.
Is this from a live model?

artinoils
04-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Lovely mood and soft color...did you paint this from life? Agree about the nose. You're off to a great start.

woodguy
04-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Diane and Susan...Thanks for looking and the kind comments. The nose has been fixed, now I am working on the eye. Will post when I can get a good picture. This started live, then I took a photo and finished up from there. For as much time as I spent on this, the model would have collapsed had she gone the distance! Jim

woodguy
04-11-2003, 06:07 PM
After thr"nose" Job! Plus, I think that the color is better in the image as well. Jim

artbabe21
04-11-2003, 09:51 PM
much better and i like her eye just fine.....she looks so dreamy...stay with figures, you have a future there...:)

coulter
04-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Very nice. Subdued and soft and "Woodguy" style.

Her left hand looks problematic, her right is exactly "right"!

Great job Jim, as Cathleen says, let's see more!!!

And Cath, this IS something I will try sometime, but I think I need to wait until I feel I'm ready. Besides reviewing everything everyone here says about figure work and whatever printed reference material I can find, I think I need more "brush mileage" as I think you put it, before I try.... Plus when I'm ready, I can pick Jim's brain :D not to mention Scott's and Wes's...

Mark

Lines
04-12-2003, 02:45 AM
The point where the eye meets the nose is usually
more in line with the centre of the eye, and so looks
better in the second work, where this detail has been
lost. The mouth is not normally so much wider than
the centre of the eye. (Though I've never
checked this on a Julia Roberts photo!)
Both points are of a minor detail, although as you
will know, just a slight detail can alter the age and
expression in a portrait.
I love the green, and the Impressionist look of the
whole, and the pose.

jerryW
04-12-2003, 04:12 AM
the second has a more woodguy totality

Wes Hyde
04-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Jim, maybe it's just the computer image, but from where I'm sitting, I think some stronger highlights would make this painting better. And was she standing against a wall? Is there any way to abstract (maybe a curtain) an item or two into the background, break up the shape a bit.

Looking good,

Wes

woodguy
04-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Cathleen! I do like painting figures, but it drives me nuts!

Thanks, Mark! I spent alot of time painting that left hand. But the right one I did more or less very absent mindedly! Ha, says something!

Thanks, Lines! Good information and observation!

Thanks, Jerry!

Thanks, Wes! This started out with a very dark and abstract backround. It slowly evolved into what it is now. I wanted a soft, mysterious almost ethereal feel. There are actually more highlights than what the digital image shows.

Thanks again to all. Jim

Rosic
04-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Oh what a difference... good nose job!
Rosic