PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel... finished I think

hunterpaul
02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Im going to call this done... I wont sign it for a couple of days, want to live with it first, see if anything jumps out at me... of course if you see something I may have missed then please just say... Paul x
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff134/hunterpaul/IMG_2540.jpg

aRt4us
02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
in one word, astounding

Dave Slaughter
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Excellent work!

birdlady
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
and what a finish Paul. I am in awe of the barbed wire fencing and not to mention the stump and wow that green thorny branch. The Kestrel looks like it could come right off the canvas. Each piece I see done by you is always a stunner.

Laurie

Winky'sMom
02-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, this is gorgeous! I can just picture myself walking up on this beautiful scene in the country. Paul your Kestrel is amazing.

Misted-Dream
02-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Wow, what a beautiful finish, Paul! There's so much depth of field in this and I love the variety of textures you achieved--most notably the wood post and the kestrel's feathers. :)

lisapencil
02-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Wow Paul this is superb. I love the detail. It's the kind of picture you continually look at and see more. :clap:

Lexycat
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Its gorgeous, right down to the highlights on the purple berries, a feast of a painting Paul.....I do envy you your talent, but in a nice way:)

online art
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Paul, You have excelled yourself just as I said you would. :thumbsup:

But your not used to me blowing hot air up your backside, are you? and you would expect me to mention at least 1 thing I have spotted right? ha....

Well..... there is just 1 thing that cought my eye, and once it did I couldn't sto being distracted by it, to me it distracts from what is darn close to being SUPERB.

I have circled what is distracting me, now don't get me wrong this is a real nit pick, but I know just how much of a perfectionist you are, I would not have even mentioned it to 99% of others at all.

The reason it sticks out for me is that it is a very dark area contrasting against a very light area. If it were my painting I would take the contrast down on the leaf - problem solved.

On my screen the whole image lacks contrast, so I took the liberty to punch up the contrast to what I believe your original probably really looks like. Now if it looks WAY too vibrant on everyone elses screen please accept my apologies.

It really is a cracking painting Paul - THE MAN is back!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2012/5678-kes-adjusted.jpg

Barb'sArt
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Absolutely amazing work:eek: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: !

hunterpaul
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Ha ha ha Jase I will tone the leaf down... I was going to use the excuse of thats where Im putting my signature and it will draw the eye to it lol... but thats just rubbish ha ha ... since you pointed it out I cant look at anything else lol.... It may be my screen, but the contrast that you have adjusted it to is pretty high... and the pic I took is fairly true to the original... not exactly.. but near...
Thank you everybody for your support... unfortunately this will be my last painting for a while as I start rehearsals for a new show next week that will be touring for 6 months... oh well...
Paul

Marty Shay
02-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Words escape me Paul, in saying how awesome, fantastic and astounding this is, I love the fence post, obviously the Kestrel is over the top, the fall-pinched thorn branches, the depth of field is wonderful. I LOVE every inch of it.

The man is back in town---I'm so glad to see your excellent work again!!!!
Janet

online art
02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Yep looks a bit too contrasty on my proper PC upstairs too :) Oh well....

It's a cracking piece, and one I would be proud to have on my wall at home (when you tone down that leaf ha.... )

birdlady
02-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I have a wall for it too Paul :lol: please check ur PM's. Your going to be missed ..6 MONTHS :eek: :eek: OH NO thats to long.

Laurie

wildlifeart89
02-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Stunning work, Paul! I'm always amazed at your backgrounds, and of course, the bird is flawless.:clap:
Paige

redwoodlady
02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
:clap: Beautiful! What's your medium?

tulabula
02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
magnificent work as always! Totally stunning!
Will look forward to seeing you back, have fun!

Marty Shay
02-11-2012, 04:51 PM
You definitely will be missed for 6 WHOLE MONTHS!!!! Ouch, at least you are leaving on a wonderful piece. I'm glad you got this done and got your brushes back working again before taking on the tour--good luck with the tour, hope it's very successful for you.
Janet

evartpat
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Absolutely grand!

hunterpaul
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Thank you Janet... youre way too kind... and lovely...
I use Acrylic on Canvas...
I will put the tour dates on and if Im in peoples area, I would love to meet them in the flesh... x

JayD
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Well, after i stabbed myself on the beautifully rendered barbed wire, i yanked myself back and thanked the lucky stars that kestral did not jump out and take a nip at me. Your textures are absolutely dazzling. I'm going to be looking for more of your work.

BeeCeeEss
02-11-2012, 07:01 PM
What a beautiful little bird. The painting is magnificent! I am in awe.

Beverly

MaryThompson
02-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Wow. It's magnificent.

Phranque
02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Beautiful!

ArtbyPeggy
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
WOW! Fantastic Finish!!!

hunterpaul
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you all so much... the barbed wire is ridiculously easy to do... the main think is Zinc white over the whole thing once all the shadows are put in ... I love Zinc white... I use it on beaks too and it gives a great effect...

Marty Shay
02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Are you talking about a "wash" of zinc white over all the strand of barbed wire, or using zinc white as a highlight color on the barbed wire once you've painted it with color and put in shadows? Same with the bird's beak, wash over the beak and face or surrounding work or highlight on the beak itself?
It's beautiful and I would love to learn from this. I have a LOT to learn on washes, I haven't got that concept or usage down well at all. The effect is so nice. Thanks.
Janet

Dave Hawk
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Paul this turned out great. There is one thing that throws me.... The wire is to clean. Unless the farmer ran new wire and pulled all the old nails which is rarely done there is no rusting taking place. Rust tone would knock the wire back a bit so it is not so pronounced. But it still work. Awesome!

Skylynx
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Oh mercy, this is just awesome work!!! I've looked at, and admired, so much bird and wildlife art and have many coffee-table books by the leading artists, but will have to say this surpasses all I've seen!!

rachelstribb
02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
This is beautiful, I really like how you have created a feeling of depth. The sharpness of the Kestrel and barbed wire etc looks fantastic against the blurred berries and twigs in the background. The little leaf in the bottom right corner that online art pointed out doesn't bother me, I don't find it distracting but that's just me.

RADAR
02-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Paul, you out did yourself this time, truly a master at painting!

Lady_WildlifeArtist
02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Positively magnificent...what a masterful work! I especially love the quality of the expression on the kestrel. Well executed painting.

PatrickHedges
02-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Super awesome work Paul!!

hunterpaul
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Thank you so much guys... Lovely words... Paul x