PDA

View Full Version : Douggie Gilmour

gillyvu
04-10-2003, 09:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-10-2003/21127_Doug_Gilmour.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Douggie Gilmour
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8, 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Well, one of my first pics (this time in my short artistic career... 13th year, i am 13 years old...) My fav. hockey player, the ear seems wrong to me.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd just like honest CONSTRUCTIVE critism, and anything you can give me advice with. I also don't mind pointing out one of my stronger points.

andyvry
04-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Hi gillyvu,

welcome to WC.....:D

This is a good study, on the whole. There are some really nice textures in the helmet and his beard - (stubble, if you like) and the reflection up from the ice gives the picture that bit of oomph! At a guess I'd say you were working from a photo, which is fine........up to a point. As you develop your skills you will find that your drawing will really start taking off when you start to draw from life. It doesn't matter what you draw, be it fruit in a bowl or the cat on the mat - in doing this you begin to understand how light works, how it 'describes' volume and form and so many other things besides. Draw every day if you can.
You have already said that you are unhappy about the ear...., well if you post this in the Drawing and Sketching forum, there, you'll get all the help and encouragement that you could wish for, and more to the point, specific to your needs.
Ask questions, ...there are artists of all abilities and styles on WC, all wanting to encourage and advise...........Good luck! ;)

andy.

dupliKate
04-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Douggie !!!

Very nicely done...you certainly have developed a good skill level with your coloured pencil.

Take a good look at someone's ear (if they'll let you) and you'll see that you have an extra fold in there.....otherwise the structure is very good.

Keep at it....this is very, very good work...looking forward to more!

K