GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Twilight
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9 x 12 in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Found a cool frame discounted at Glaser Frames the other day, so painted this for it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
ok

jerryW
04-10-2003, 10:54 PM
very excellent accross the middle
the top 1/4 gold could be white to
tie in the boat cabin better.

tiki
04-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Man, Wes, that's gorgeous. This one just grabbed me and sucked me in. This is just excellent.

JeanineJ
04-10-2003, 11:20 PM
I can smell the washed-down decks of the fishing boats! Super painting. I would agree with Jerry that the top sky area might benefit from some lightening or - perhaps weakening the chroma a tad to send it up and back. It's also gorgeous just as it is because of that awesome, imposing sky against which the rest of the painting is a silhouette that draws one in with its detail. I really like how you blurred the vessel on the left in the foreground bringing our attention to the more carefully crafted boat behind it. I hope you give this a large drift-wood frame!

artbabe21
04-11-2003, 12:28 AM
OMG....I didn't know you could do magic on all subjects! You are awesome & going places buddy!! Hard work pays off! Thrilled for you!

andyvry
04-11-2003, 06:02 AM
nice study Wes...I'd go with the lightening of the sky as already suggested unless of course it's just the monitor image (?)

andy.

Helen Zapata
04-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Love those greens you're using in the boats, Wes. Right where the green moves into the black shadow.. ooo.. yummm... I can stare at that spot forever.

Helen

Murals By Aga
04-11-2003, 09:12 AM
This one is great. I have avoided painting boats because I have always found them complex. Hats off to you!

coulter
04-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Wow! Exqusite Wes!! and here, just when you were about to be labeled a "cowboy" painter :evil:

Say, is this from a photo of your father's?

Mark

mattlart
04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
OH YEAH!
This is great, Wes.......good job..:)
Great palette...rendering,..all of it. Now (if you choose),..lenghthen the two side masts,..and lighten them....giving them a golden glow as they reach for the sky;)
Cheers!-Scott

Paintonbrush
04-11-2003, 01:12 PM
stunning color, so bright, wheres my shades.....from real life?
nice work

Wes Hyde
04-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks, everyone, and goodmorning. :-)

No, Mark, not from one of my dad's photos. But I was thinking about painting a cowboy into this somewhere, but the only place I figured he'd look right is in the water, drowning, and somehow it just didn't seem appropriate. I thought it might ruin the mood.

Jeanine, the frame is actually antiqued gold.

Andy, you hit the nail on the head. The sky is paler. I tried making adjustments, but this was as close as I could get.

Jerry, good eye, but the boat in real life is actually violet, and the sky... :) that white in the background, between the skyline and the boats is actually a very pale yellow, only slightly lighter than the sky. But yes, there are some deeper yellows in the sky, and violet hues.

Helen, don't stare too long, your eyes will cross and freeze that way. ;)

Aga, boats, yes... always seemed something like that to me, too. But they arten't as hard as they look. Give it a whirl.

Tiki, thanks. :D

Dianne, I wish it was from real life. In my photo all the shadows are black. In the painting I used French ultramarine, purple lake, sepia and a little white-brightened mauve to make it reflective. The camera made it black again. Sheesh

Cath, :o Thanks :)

Scott, Have fun in ...wherever you went this weekend. Get lots of photos!

Thanks again, all!

Wes

jerryW
04-12-2003, 10:39 AM
on opening this again I can only say it is stunning.
"white" what was I thinking... maybe a creamy thing... but no, the golden skin is great!

Murals By Aga
04-12-2003, 10:50 AM
I just may.... I have a few good photos. Hey, I just got an idea for a Wet Canvas project. Maybe others who are "afraid" of trying boats will give it a try with me....
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thanks

elizabeth ours
04-12-2003, 04:22 PM
brilliant, i bet in person i could feel the reflected heat.