PDA

View Full Version : Second Chance Ranch commission

RunninMI
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi there! Ok, I'm not really happy with how this one turned out. A friend of mine commissioned me to do a painting for a friend of hers who got married this summer. I did agree to get together with the friend who got married and basically she could choose what she wanted a painting of, with in reason. She wanted a painting of her home and I did take reference pictures. Turned out she not only wanted the house, but all the outbuildings in the painting as well. I explained it was going to be a long narrow painting, not a standard size. She asked if maybe I could do an 11"x 14" and collage/ randomly place the different buildings around it. I didn't think that would look right and we did agree on the narrow and long format. So anyways, this has been on my mind and on the back burner since July :wink2:, I did it as a favor to my friend for only $150 :eek:. Just not happy with it and its been frustrating since the get go. If you look at my animal portraits, this is just not up to par with my normal work. Guess it made me realize that my animal portraits is really where my heart is and where I excel. I have wayyyyy too many hours into this, due to the frustration level and redoing things. And I think I may be getting a wee bit burnt out on commssions. Need to do something for me soon. Sorry to ramble on, guess I needed to vent and I feel an explanation is needed for my work on this piece. I have some touchups to do tomorrow and I will get better pics. I am going to put a dime next to some of the detail shots- I was working teeny tiny... Anyways, C & C welcome. This is 8"x 30", mixed media.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2012/124737-debsfinal001resz.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2012/124737-debsfinal001-3.jpgNotice I put in their tiny chihuahua sitting by the door and the other dog by the garage door
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2012/124737-debsfinal001-2.jpg

Chickens, the two horses by the fence, notice the cat on the half wall of the horse barn.... Like I said, teeny tiny. I was debating working with a pin...

Thank you for looking and any advice, thoughts, opinions, C&C....
Better pics tomorrow...

Trace

Artybo
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
This was quite an undertaking but you have done an outstanding job. My only concern is that the grass foreground (on my monitor) looks like water.

RunninMI
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Thank you so much for responding! So much for just a couple little touchups tonight.... I put in another 2 hours, reworked the grass and added highlights on the animals and sign. I'm much happier with it now. Too much of a glare to get a good pic tonight with the wet paint. Will post tomorrow... Thanks again!

nickib
04-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Hi Trace! I think this looks awesome and you should sign it and be done. You are being way to hard on yourself if you ask me:) .They are getting a real steal for $ 150.00. Nicki

chammi kaiser
04-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Trace. This really was a nightmare of an undertaking. I think you have done a splendid job. Looking forward to seeing this with the foreground showing more detailed grasses here and there. Does look rather like water. I love your animal paintings and hopefully the next commission with be a pet rather than buildings!!

Bertoni
04-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Nice work!:thumbsup:
and I agree about the foreground, too dark and pondlike!

nickib
04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
It looks like either Dusk or Dawn, so I love the grass myself :D