PDA

View Full Version : Brushes for acrylics?

orrrock
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I normally hang out in the figure forum but think this question belongs here. I received a gift voucher for brushes from Rosemary and Co. I would normally ask people to buy me hog brushes as presents but as I have the luxury of choosing, thought I might be a bit more adventurous. My first thought was to try some of the Mongoose brushes but: (a) I paint in acrylics most of the time and (b) The hair is now banned, so the supply is finite. Think I might try the synthetic versions of hog and mongoose. Any thoughts? Comments welcome.

ribeyedsmile
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
well, I use the crappy brushes. But I have bought great brushes.

I take the great brushes and put them aside and use my crap brushes.

A fan brush I always will spend a little money on. Also a fine round for detail.

Acrylic will dry and wreck brushes if you don't keep a mind on it.

Sable is my choice for a detail brush and I buy a medium priced fan in groups of 2 or 3 at a time.

I love to use a fan to lay an isolation layer right over a layer with just a dry skin (still wet underneath)

idylbrush
02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Synthetic brushes are a good choice for acrylics in my opinion. They hold up well, perform well and clean well. Even if nasty with dried up acrylic, a bit of Winsor Newton brush cleaner will make them good as new. That is the voice of experience.

Shape and size are up to you and it is a very personal process to choose a good brush for your painting style. Try a few synthetic brushes and if they work for you, get a few more.

orrrock
02-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Thank you for the comments. Will add a fan to my list and stick to synthetics :)

Einion
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Peter, depending on your requirements for painting detail I would suggest trying some of their sable or Kolinsky brushes; these are the brushes Rosemary & Co. are widely praised for and they make a good selection of types.

Einion

FULLERARTIST
02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I reserve my better brushes for watercolor and buy packs of brushes at Michael's or AC Moore for acrylics. They take a beating, more from the cleaning than the painting.