PDA

View Full Version : "Settle" - Blue Australian Cattle Dog

Marty Shay
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Posting a recently completed canvas titled "Settle". The painting is done in acrylics, on a 14 x 18" portrait gallery canvas, finished edge to edge. The subject is a beautiful blue Australian Cattle Dog; a show girl with many titles following her name. When she comes out of the show ring, adrenaline is flowing and excitement high; her owner uses this touch technique to settle her, her hand on her dog's head lets her know she can relax and unwind before she goes into the ring again or stands at ringside. Cattle dogs are very loyal and devoted dogs, their bond is strong with their owners. Many of us with cattle dogs have experienced this special bond between dog and owner shown in this painting. When I posted this painting to a forum with cattle dog owners, several posted their own experiences with their dogs that transcended words just as shown in this pose. For me, it projects a peaceful calm and a bond of trust/love in the face of this gorgeous girl as she presses her head into her owner's hand. I hope others see that too in this work. C&Cs welcome.
Janet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2012/151282-Dally_Painting_2-6-12_Adjusted_size__image.jpg

berningc
02-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Lovely!

Winky'sMom
02-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Very, very touching painting. Thank you for sharing.

ArtbyPeggy
02-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I'll second the Lovely! How touching and I loved the story behind it as well :)

Marty Shay
02-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Thank you, Carol, Linda and Peggy. She is such a nice girl, appreciate your comments.
Janet

Kanielle
02-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Nice detail on the fur.

snowfall
02-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Lovely painting. Love the story behind it too. I really like how you've done the hand as well. Super job!

Pam

Lexycat
02-07-2012, 06:03 AM
I really love this, the hand is so well done and love the emotion it conveys:clap:

oldwomanpainting
02-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Beautiful painting and beautiful story.

Marty Shay
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks Kanielle. Thank you Pam and Lexycat, I worked for a long time on the hand, I'm glad you liked the finish of it. Thank you Janet, this is a special relationship between this owner and her dog, she adores this dog and vice versa.
Janet

tulabula
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Fantastic! Story and painting!

Vanity87
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Beautiful and absolutely darling cattle doggy! :heart:

Marty Shay
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your comments, Laurie and Vanity.

wildlifeart89
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
What a touching portrait, and such a gorgeous dog. Lovely work!:clap:
Paige

chammi kaiser
02-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Marty that is beautiful. What a fantastic painting and your interpretation of the love between the owner and the dog is very touching. I love this work.

Marty Shay
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks so much Chammi.
J

evartpat
02-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Beautiful image and a touching concept...:)

bluemoonstar
02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
A beautiful painting - you can feel the LOVE!

Marty Shay
02-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Glad you like it evartpat and Pat, I appreciate your comments, this dog does love her owner and it's vice versa, a very close relationship between the two. I did love the pose, very unusual show of affection. Thanks again,
Janet

Galina Zastava
02-10-2012, 03:23 AM
This is so touching! Thank you!

David Dowbyhuz
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
For someone that loves dogs as much as I do, this piece is fundamentally transcendental. Positively spiritual, Janet.

I'm not even remotely religious in any shape, way or form, but this image embodies something holy. What delightful conflict it stirs in my atheistic brain.

Well done, Janet. Superb. :clap:

Best,
Dave

lisapencil
02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Wow fantastic painting. :thumbsup:

Markieg
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I love this portrait. It truly shows the love and devotion between this gorgeous Cattle Dog and owner. Wonderful work.

Marty Shay
02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you, Galina, lisapencil, and Karen so much for your comments, I hoped it would stir emotion in the viewer as it did me when I saw the photograph. It was a one-in-a-million capture of a special moment with these two. I know both owner and dog and there is a connection and trust between the two that's unusual. The dog has so much confidence in her owner that she literally comes down quickly from the "ring high" when her owner calms her.

David, I'm such an admirer of your work, I always look to see your next work and can't hardly wait to see a new work posted so your comments touched me. I didn't know if this portrait portrayed a spiritual aspect but it did to me as I painted it, I could almost feel Dally breath as I neared the finish. It does have a quiet, spiritual (holy, what a wonderful term) feel to it when I look at the canvas, thank you so much for your comments expressing those sentiments.

The owner has seen a very small print version of it, loved it, and, as she said, it will soon "grace her living room walls".
Janet

hunterpaul
02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I love this... the hand says it all... I do this to my dog as part of her commands, and it is perfect the way youve managed to make it actually settle in the way you have... finding it difficult to explain what I mean... lovely lovely work... x

Marty Shay
02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much Paul, you have explained it perfectly. I've never wanted to do any "part human", :-). I knew why as I struggled to paint the hand so I'm very appreciative of your comments that you see a communication between the hand and the dog's forehead. I saw a softness in the hand and yet a strength to communicate peace and calmness to the dog, perhaps that's part of what you hopefully see there. Thanks so much for your comments, your work inspires me, good to hear from you.
Janet

JayD
02-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I would never own one of these dogs. They are SO smart that I would end up being the pet. They are one of the most gifted and intelligent dogs around--I love all the working dogs--I love the pat on the head--its very symbolic of the bond between human and dog. Thank you.

Marty Shay
02-11-2012, 07:33 PM
JayD: That make me laugh, I own several of them and can confirm it's a battle of wits most days. When they start performing a command just before you ask it's a little disconcerting, it has crossed my mind that they control the human and just allow me to think I'm master. I have one who has watched every move I make when I'm driving, concentrating on the gas pedal when I accelerate, looking at the brake pedal when I'm slowing, looking at my hand on the turn signal etc. that I think if she had access to the keys, she would go to town without me. It's like living with four legged humans--with a wicked sense of humor. Thanks for your comments.
Janet